Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Hay Master
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which plant does he work for ?
He was working out of a company in Chicago, but all they had him doing was developing plans for decommissioning nuclear plants. He wanted to be building them. He served six years in the Navy on a nuke submarine as a reactor operator.

He now is an Embassy Security Engineering Officer for the State Department. He travels from country to country, doing everything from "changing lightbulbs" (you'd be surprised at what some people will do to spy on us!) to some top secret stuff even he doesn't know about.

Very, very proud of him!

Ralph

· Registered
282 Posts
Intresting post...my son...will be traveling here in a couple of weeks and will do the same....also a engineer also does both private and gov secret work...don't know what he does for gov but he is into automation type work in private industry.....its always a special pleasure to get time to work together

217 Posts
My day job is as an engineer for a company that has the contract with the Navy to build the nuclear equipment in the nuke plant on the boat your son served on. Lots of opportunities for someone with your son's background.

· Hay Master
1,164 Posts
That's some well maintained equipment right there. Having worked in the electric utility industry, I know about the difficult requirements to become a nuclear reactor operator. His future is bright. Hopefully, this country will wise up and build some more nuclear generating units.

· Hay Master
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's some well maintained equipment right there. Having worked in the electric utility industry, I know about the difficult requirements to become a nuclear reactor operator. His future is bright. Hopefully, this country will wise up and build some more nuclear generating units.
All my equipment gets a thorough cleaning and wax job in the fall. Tires get RV wheel covers put on, etc.

Ralph

5,757 Posts
Did over 10 years working at nuclear plant as an engineer but sure wasn't as good as being a summer student working as a maintainer in mechanical maintenance shop. Skinny, low man and interested in actually working got me picked to get into all kinds of cool places.

Yeah , interesting work I’m sure. I am a Mechanical Maintenance Supervisor at VC Summer Nuclear Plant. My background is machining and light fabrication.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts