Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old 1209 MoCo that I picked up last year. What it did not have with it is the EA hitch adapter and finding one has ne=ot been easy. Is there a different method I can use to connect it to my tractor? I do have the manual with the measurements for the angles, and wonder if I can get away with just putting a 1" pin on my drawbar and getting it out as much as possible to the measurements.
Toy Machine Auto part Plastic Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Drawbar can't be adjusted to correct pivot point so u-joints won't vibrate without the addition of the equal angle hitch adapter. One type of several styles of equal angle hitch was a flat strap of approximately 4X2 metal with holes in correct location for 2 bolts to secure metal strap to tractor drawbar & another hole for a Cat ll draft link pin.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well if I could find the measurement from the drawbar hitch pin to the Cat II pin on the EA, I would get a steel bar and drill it to make it work, but sadly that is one dimension that is not listed in the manual. There is only one, on Ebay, and it is bent. Not going to spend $350 for a damaged one.

·
Registered
608 Posts
You should be able to calculate the length based on the equal angle concept, but if someone can send you a length that is definitely easier.
Yes, surely if the angles are to be the same the lengths will be the same. I would start by measuring the distance from the PTO knuckle on the moco to the drawbar pin. Then measure the distance from where the PTO knuckle would be on the tractor to the existing tractor drawbar pin. The difference is the amount your adapter needs to stick out. Have a look at it, and if it looks about right based on the picture of the adapter, have a go at making your own adapter.

Roger

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Later on yesterday I did find an older thread here on HT while searching for a used one and found the distance to be 7 3/4, 7 1/2, and 8" between different readings, so that is what I really needed. Thanks for the above pick, it looks like it is right about where the others measured as well. These things are hard to find, and those I find are asking a premium for worn out bent ones. I measured my drawbar, and it has the first hole right at 14" when nearly fully extended, furthest out it can go is 16", so there is still a decent amount inside the mount. I then measured the bar, 1" by 2", and found an online metal store, ordered a 2' 1 x 2 bar and 2' of 1/4" by 2 1/2" steel plate and will weld up my own. Drilling it will be the hardest part in all this. The bar I figured would be 16" long, and I have some sheet metal to add between the bar and 1/4" plate before welding to give it some room to slip over the draw bar.

Cost me about $60 with shipping.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
If you drill holes in correct locations strap can be bolted to tractor drawbar with no welding required. Correct tractor drawbar length with EA hitch installed for 540 rpm implement is 14'' from end of tractor pto shaft to center of drawbar. Photo was taken from JD1380 Mo-Co OM which was powered by hyd pump but principles are the same

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have needs for the drawbar use for other things, so would rather be able to simply swap it on and off, otherwise I would do just that, OR, I could buy another drawbar and have two. But I have a nice welder collecting dust and need to work on my welding skills, they get rusty over time from not doing it and usually takes me a pass or two to get my feel back. I have some welding to do on the 1209 as well before I can put it to use, the bar with the notches for transport/work is cracked in half at the first hole, and have to weld in a new one, and underneath where the pin goes through for the tongue pivot is cracked. PO probably put it in a ditch and twisted the damned thing.

Hey, for $1600, whats a little welding and time, right?

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
I'm not following what you stated about needing drawbar for other things. Either style equal angle hitch can be added/removed from tractor drawbar in a very short period time especially if an impact wrench & sockets were utilized. BTDT many times

·
Hay Something
1,567 Posts
A local parts yard had several of these on the shelf last I knew. If you would want an original JD hitch, for not a lot of money, call Justin at Creekside Equipment - 717, four seven seven, 0742. I think his prices are very reasonable.

·
5,861 Posts
Depending on the tractor, sometimes a cat2 draw bar in the 3 point hitch arms is far enough out to be work. I'm not sure why this varies so much tractor to tractor when its supposed to be standard.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From what I can see of the hitch, it puts the pivot point on the tow bar behind the tires so you can get a true 90* turn, and the design is such as to allow the driveshaft to rotate without binding. If the tractors drawbar can extend out 22", it could possibly work, however, what it also does is drops the towbar end even with the drawbar, so is you have 6" between PTO center and drawbar and use just the drawbar, it puts in outside the limits for PTO clearance which is 6-12". I could have bought a 4' bar, cut it to size that would allow it to extend out 22" to center of pin, but the PTO clearance would be off as it is exactly 6" on the tractor.

I have all the material now to make one, since I already have welding projects to get done, just add it to the pile. I can paint it orange to match the tractor too. I don't think I can cut the bar with the plasma cutter, but the 1/4" plate it goes through like butta.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
JD equal angle hitch when installed on drawbar set to SAE spec's puts pivot point between end of tractor pto shaft & end of implement driveshaft just in front of pro carrier brg the same dimension. So when in turns both u-joints always have same angles which eliminates/lowers driveshaft vibrations

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Almost done with it. Just have to drill 2 holes and weld on two nuts then give it a coat of paint.
Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Engineering

Interesting, I had left the cap for plumbing flux on the bench and accidentally got some flux on something, which in turn transferred to the metal which then caused rust to form. Guess I have some sanding to do before paint.

Saw Wood Tool Grinding Metalworking

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks very good as long as height/width of your tractor drawbar remains constant.
It does. Thats the drawbar it is attached to. I had to open the hole in the drawbar a little, must be a Metric Inch as the 1" pin didn't fit in it, but does now. According to the manual, all the measurements lined up for the drawbar, and since I was getting various measurements ranging from 7-8 1/2", I set the pin at 8" on the bar. I left enough play in where the drawbar slides in, which is what my last thing to do will be for, drill holes for tension bolts.

Do I need a chain loop? I see some have it, some don't. I don't have a chain on the mower, and except for maybe going from one drive to the other, don't plan on any road travel.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts