Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to hay growing. I planted last fall and got three decent cutting this summer. I recently had my soil tested and a 30-50-80 mixture was recommended for my hay field. My question when is the best time to spread it? Should I hold off until the optimal time that the plant can use it the nitrogen?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
If you have to apply them all at the same time, then after first cut.

If you can apply at different times, I apply phosphorus and potassium prior to first cut, or you can do it in the fall. I apply urea (nitrogen) after first cut and after second cut.

There is a little bit of nitrogen in MAP (monoammonium phosphate) so I let that be my source of nitrogen for first cut, or might add just a little bit of urea. I apply fertilizer in the spring around March or April, and I don't want too much nitrogen in the mix, otherwise it puts the grass in turbo growth mode and it will mature before the weather lets me get in to cut it. It already grows heavy enough in first cut as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have to apply them all at the same time, then after first cut.

If you can apply at different times, I apply phosphorus and potassium prior to first cut, or you can do it in the fall. I apply urea (nitrogen) after first cut and after second cut.

There is a little bit of nitrogen in MAP (monoammonium phosphate) so I let that be my source of nitrogen for first cut, or might add just a little bit of urea. I apply fertilizer in the spring around March or April, and I don't want too much nitrogen in the mix, otherwise it puts the grass in turbo growth mode and it will mature before the weather lets me get in to cut it. It already grows heavy enough in first cut as well.
I will be applying all at the same time. It appears that after the first cut is the way to go. thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts