Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone knows when OG seed that is standing has decent germination rates. July 1 perhaps?

·
263 Posts
I have always assumed it was viable when it dried enough to fall to the ground in the wind or rain. OG seed is already beginning to fall. I mowed yesterday and the top of the mower was covered in an inch of seed.

·
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have always assumed it was viable when it dried enough to fall to the ground in the wind or rain. OG seed is already beginning to fall. I mowed yesterday and the top of the mower was covered in an inch of seed.
I agree, that has been my assumption as well. Going to do a lot of overseeding tomorrow morning. We are getting to the point with climate change that there is no cool season first cutting to be made after about June 10th. Since we could not get started until Memorial day weekend this year, that is a tight window. Now if you are also planting beans, it is really tight. Saw my first knee high corn today about 5 miles from the house. Saw a field in PA on 81 a week and a half ago that had knee high already but that particular farm is always leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else.

·
Hay Master
5,059 Posts
Plants are smart. When the seed falls easily from the stem, it's viable.

The trick with over-seeding like this is to get the seed covered and in contact with soil. Many plants require that the seed be in dark for a period of time before they will sprout. The planting depth gives a good clue about how much contact is required. I shred my water ways to bury seeds when over-seeding and that seems to work pretty well. For pastures, trample seeding tends to do a reasonable job.

Also, getting sufficient moisture when the seed is sprouting can some times be hit or miss, especially in the June-August time frame.

·
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plants are smart. When the seed falls easily from the stem, it's viable.

The trick with over-seeding like this is to get the seed covered and in contact with soil. Many plants require that the seed be in dark for a period of time before they will sprout. The planting depth gives a good clue about how much contact is required. I shred my water ways to bury seeds when over-seeding and that seems to work pretty well. For pastures, trample seeding tends to do a reasonable job.

Also, getting sufficient moisture when the seed is sprouting can some times be hit or miss, especially in the June-August time frame.
Yeah, probably the cats pajamas would be to run over the field after baling with an old rotary hoe we used to use on bean fields to break the crust. Would probably cause just enough agitation with little damage and cover a bunch of seed. We still have decent moisture in the soil here unlike last year but it is going to leave fast with 90s. I am guessing that we have a probability of decent rain once or so in the next 2 weeks then it is pop ups and hurricane remnants.

Reactions: rjmoses
1 - 5 of 5 Posts