Hay & Forage Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hay Master
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a year!!!! We have gone from so much rain in May and June that it made 1st cutting harvest miserable to 4 weeks of hit and miss showers that have all missed. Orchard and Timothy's have shut down. Alfalfa's hanging in there. 3rd cutting potential not looking very good. Forecast is for another dry week ahead. Wish we could have spread this out....little more dry in June and a little more wet in July and August. I guess if we could do that, it would be to easy and everybody would grow hay:)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Kind of funny how things are, but the first part of the year was dry, one of the dryest in the past 20 years or something like that, it started raining 2 weeks ago and has rained almost every day since, effectively putting a halt to any haymaking going on..good thing i dont have any on the ground, just about a thousant straw bales in the field!!
:mad:

·
Super Moderator
8,704 Posts
What a year!!! I won't forget this one.Started out cool and wet.Hay 10 days behind normal.Than hail on 200 ac at bud stage OUCH. (lost 200 ton)Than wet and humid all summer.Only put up 150 baes out of 2000 with out rain.Weatherman would have 20% chance we would get rain.Heavy dew every morning and not much for wind has made hay drying terrible.Has me looking at hay preservitives and hay reconditioners.This week sounds drier but only have 30 ac down.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here in Idaho we don't depend on the rain for watering our crops, but this year has been the craziest that I have seen. First cutting was delayed for 2 weeks because of a series of really heavy rain storms and my second cutting was on the ground for two weeks due to a combination of heavy dews, humid cloudy days, and wet ground. Hopefully the third cutting shapes up!

·
89 Posts
We were very wet early, some flooding to the west. hit and miss now, but not hot as usual although we have had a few hot ones. Hard year but I do not grow alot of of hay so I was able to do OK.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Not too bad here. It has been wet since May. We have had some rain this month, But this past week we have had a little dry spell. It is raining here tonight though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts