Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run a Gehl 1465 . Between 40 and 50 is average . The most would be 65 . I need to get more baled in a day . 4 to 5 bales per acres on 1st cutting grass hay. Would a newer baler make a difference. Seem my window to make hay is 3 days together if i'm lucky . Then rain for 2 weeks . What would be average for you / and md of baler ? I think i should update . Thank rj .

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,598 Posts
You should be able to hit 40-50 bales per hour easily with a newer baler. Depends on your situation of course.

When we were running the BR780A and BR7090 New Hollands they would usually average 40 bales per hour, and that is a 5x6 bale and that was also in cornstalks. The 560s run pretty consistently 50 bales per hour.

·
Registered
524 Posts
We run a NH BR7060 with net wrap. I think my record is 150-175 in a day. But could have done many more that was just all the hay down for that day. In thick hay and with a newer baler with net wrap you should be able to do 45+ per hour easily. Even my NH 644 with twine wrap I usually could hit 30 bales/hour in thick hay.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The neighbors Vermeer the other year was making a bale a minute so to be a little conservative 50 per hour, 4 hours 200 bales?

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Utilizing net to wrap bales,raking width,mph & thickness of crop are factors that affect rd bales competed per hr.

I make about 30 - 4X5.5' BPH net wrapped bales @ 5 to 6 mph on ""not very smooth fields"' that normally these fields average 2 to 3 BPA. Several yrs back my tractor baling operator was riding a motorcycle that got T-boned at a street intersection & he was in ICU for a long while & he reacts a little slow. Operation scars on his head resemble a road map BUT he very rarely makes a baler operating mistake.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I run a Gehl 1465 . Between 40 and 50 is average . The most would be 65 . I need to get more baled in a day . 4 to 5 bales per acres on 1st cutting grass hay. Would a newer baler make a difference. Seem my window to make hay is 3 days together if i'm lucky . Then rain for 2 weeks . What would be average for you / and md of baler ? I think i should update . Thank rj .
The direct answer to you question on a new baler is yes. A lot has been figured out since the Gehl era balers (I ran an 1860) that makes producing a bale much quicker.
But I wonder if the bigger question is do you have the resources and equipment to keep the baler (any baler) operating at full capacity? It is a bigger question than just changing balers if all the other boxes are not checked. Especially if you are operating in an average 3-day window.
It will not matter how great the baler is if it is waiting on windrows.

·
Registered
143 Posts
^^ what he said exactly I have a 460m John deere that will do a bale a minute all day every day easy. My problem is keeping hay in front of it to make the payments.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand that the baler is part of the equation . For the most part i'm a one man band . For now it seems that the baler is the bottle neck. If i get a 5 to 6 hr baling time sounds like 100 bales in afternoon would be doable. Thanks rj

1 - 9 of 9 Posts