Hay & Forage Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Hay Master
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Correction this award stuff is crap, feels like the participation awards for kids in schools sports

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Now we are just another one of VS sites. Looks and feels like all their other ones.The originality is gone. I always felt haytalk had its own thing, more of a close knit community. I hope somehow that doesn't get lost in this needless update.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
New format is similar to a few other tractor discussion forums I frequent so I'm accustomed to the format. Site speed has improved.

·
An ounce of doing is worth a pound of talk
1,153 Posts
I wonder what the premium forums is? I wonder how long it will be before we will have to pay to read any of the forums.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I've been able to navigate the new forum. Besides permanently losing the Shoutbox (that was a quick way to see things that didn't really need an actual topic) miss the member's location and hope it can be added under the user's name. The flag is nice but location helps determine whether comments are applicable to my situation. For example, that totally unheard of thing of baling hay at night common a couple thousand miles west of me totally changes most things. I'm probably not going to look at each poster's profile to see if their practices would help me.

Might as well go ahead and say that I truly miss a lot of the long time members that left with the last round of censorship. Several had strong political/social/moral viewpoints and for the most part discussions were kept civil. A few times there were discussions that I would have liked to suggest everyone chill out but didn't -- still from the discussions about hay could get a good idea of their credibility.

Finally, as Cowboy Ram mentioned, what is the "premium forum"? My own personal opinion is that this forum's popularity if because of the depth of knowledge shared. This from hands on/boots on the ground/untold dollars invested in agriculture freely shared by members available to anyone with internet service. In the past members have advised, found solutions, troubleshoot problems without compensation and it is very much appreciated.

Shelia

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Update, after I posted above I thought I'd put a avatar back on. Saw my "alerts" and trophy! Now understand carcajou's post. I'm too old to have received participation trophies; don't think I'm a trophy wife (I could be wrong on that), so I personally consider these trophies patronizing.

Shelia

·
Hay Something
1,437 Posts
Hey Shelia, I know it's an extra step, but if you hover your mouse over the user id just to the left of a given post, you can see location if it's populated for that user.

I too miss a lot of the users who have stepped away. Hopefully it's just for a time until the dust settles a bit.

·
Hay Master
4,931 Posts
Personally, I was pleased and satisfied with the old format. I am finding that all too many web sites are constantly updating their look and feel while adding, at best, marginal functionality.
It takes me quite a while to learn to navigate around the new site.

I guess I'm either getting old or getting tired of having to re-learn something I already knew how to do.

Hmmmm....getting tired of having to re-learn.

Ralph

·
5,677 Posts
Website seems ok, still has that new button which a lot of forums have lost.

·
Super Moderator
15,764 Posts
I too miss a lot of the users who have stepped away. Hopefully it's just for a time until the dust settles a bit.
I am afraid Dana that the ones you would like to see stay gone will come back, and the ones that you would love to see come back won't.😟

Regards, Mike

·
Registered
127 Posts
So far new version seems to work good but I really was hoping the shout box would be back, and it's a let down not to know everyone's location ( the mouse trick doesn't work on a tablet), also I really liked seeing birthdays it made it personal which is one of the many reasons I joined.

·
427 Posts
Not sure about this yet, I to miss the Birthday section and the shout. I also miss the weather updates from shetland

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Not sure about this yet, I to miss the Birthday section and the shout. I also miss the weather updates from shetland
Shetland still does his weather updates. The shoutbox work around in the chitchat/intro section.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts