Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
downtownjr
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Know every region is different. Kind of curious what kind of forage people bale throughout the country. You make multiple choices. Thanks.

·
downtownjr
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In my area I do some Orchard Grass, some Orchard Grass and Red Clover, and some mixed grasses consisting of various mixes using Orchard, Rye, Brome, and Timothy. The folks I round bale for have Orchard and some Orchard/Clover they are feeding beef cattle.

·
Hay Master
2,194 Posts
I grow alfalfa or alfalfa/orchard mixes, but my custom baling business revolves around good ole Kentucky 31 fescue. Absolutely no quality but a bunch of quanity, cha-ching for me!

·
Hay Master
247 Posts
Brome, orchard, red top, red clover, timothy. Everything seems to have 30%-50% alfala mixed in with it..

·
95 Posts
We bale a lot of Fescue, and I would not say it has no quality. It has proven to quickly put weight on both horses and cattle. I know that a lot of people won't believe that, but I have seen it with my animals and have several customers that would agree.

·
135 Posts
We bale alot of Tifton 85 and Coastal for ourselves but the Custom operation we bale almost anything that grows in this region alot of native grasses, bahia, and lots of coastal.

·
Super Moderator
11,034 Posts
Alfalfa and Alfalfa/Orchard Grass mix. When it starts to be more grass than alfalfa, I'll frost seed some clover in it and it goes to our cows, when the yields really start to suffer on those fields it gets no-tilled to corn, then beans, then back to hay.

·
Freeland Hay Maker
152 Posts
Maryland area near PA boarder. Mostly orchard with some orchard/timothy mix, and a very little bit of alfalfa. Also do about 20 acres of teff. Little more work, but the horses get hooked on it like crack.

·
1,784 Posts
Nuffin special! Mixed grass & old type RCG.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Not too much different. Alfalfa, alfalfa mixes. Crested wheat grass, Russian wild rye, smooth brome, meadow brome, pubescent wheatgrass, hay barley, forage winter wheat, sorghum, millet, field peas, western wheatgrass, Kentucky bluegrass.. I know there are some more but that covers most that I have cut and baled.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.