Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two different fields that have a foxtail and crabgrass infestation. One field is pure Alfalfa and the weeds aren't bad, but seem to be growing in number each year. The other field is a Orchard Grass/Timothy mix and has a lot of Foxtail and Crabgrass in it. I saw some posts on here about using Prowl H2O in the spring around March before things come up or are dormant. Field could be muddy in March so February would be better, if that makes sense. Is this something that I can use for both fields or do I need to do something different on each field? I have a 100 gallon 20 foot sprayer that is 3 point mounted with PTO pump that I will most likely be using, if I do something at all. Not high capcity sprayer but these 2 fields are only about 25 acres in total so not a lot to spray. Looking for suggestions on what I can do between now and next baling season to reduce weeds. My Alfalfa is Pioneer Leaf Hopper resistant seed if that matters. The OG is Diaryland.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i made an application of prowl last spring and still had slight foxtail pressure. if using prowl, two applications (one early and one after first cut) might be best. otherwise i've read that quinclorac is an effective postemergent herbicide on foxtail.

edit: alfalfa can be fertilized well and cut on a less than 35day interval to keep most weeds from becoming problems

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You raise a good point. It so happens the 3rd cutting with all of the weeds got delayed multiple times due to weather issues and had missing rain in the first 30 days and was not cut on the 35 days schedule like the first 2 cuttings.. My first 2 cuttings did not have this issue. However, this can happen again to me, and my thoughts were to kill the weeds as much as I can to prevent the higher mix of weeds in case I can't get in on time.

I have quite a bit of alfalfa being produced on the first cutting and so I thought about fertilizing after 1st cut. Next year will be year 3 for this field so I know the yield will start to go down. I have some other older fields that had the same thing happen on 3rd cutting but even worse on the weeds. In hindsight, I could have cut at 25-days but the yield would have been low but not as many weeds.

While I could get lucky and have the weather cooperate next year, I need to assume the weather won't cooperate and would like to eradicate weeds as much as possible. One other issue that this field has is that there is an unused, unmowed pasture field right next to it, full of foxtail and crabgrass. My guess is that the weed seeds are blowing over onto my field. With no rain and alfalfa low to the ground on 3rd cutting, the weed seeds took hold. Maybe there is nothing I can do unless I offer to mow the guys field. :)

Based upon your suggestion of Prowl early and then after first cut, this may or may not curtail the weeds on 3rd cutting if I am right about weed seeds coming from the neighbor. However, I think I am going to try it on at least one field.

Thanks for the input.

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
3,271 Posts
I have two different fields that have a foxtail and crabgrass infestation. One field is pure Alfalfa and the weeds aren't bad, but seem to be growing in number each year. The other field is a Orchard Grass/Timothy mix and has a lot of Foxtail and Crabgrass in it. I saw some posts on here about using Prowl H2O in the spring around March before things come up or are dormant. Field could be muddy in March so February would be better, if that makes sense. Is this something that I can use for both fields or do I need to do something different on each field? I have a 100 gallon 20 foot sprayer that is 3 point mounted with PTO pump that I will most likely be using, if I do something at all. Not high capcity sprayer but these 2 fields are only about 25 acres in total so not a lot to spray. Looking for suggestions on what I can do between now and next baling season to reduce weeds. My Alfalfa is Pioneer Leaf Hopper resistant seed if that matters. The OG is Diaryland.
Late summer weeds were particularly bad this year due to summer moisture. Going the prowl and quin route extyear

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had high moisture for all of August myself and didn't consider that as another reason. Of course, that's why I couldn't cut anything because it kept raining. High humidity after that which made the hay take forever to dry too. I will have to research the quin stuff. First I heard of it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Late summer weeds were particularly bad this year due to summer moisture. Going the prowl and quin route extyear
By the way, I went back and read your post from a month ago and saw comments regarding Prowl and OG. Good info there.

Back to my original question on this post, is there anything that I should do this Fall for weed elimination and it sounds like the answer is no. I need to wait for March or April, once the fields are dry enough to drive into and again right after first cutting and put some Prowl on them. I research Quinclorac and it seems it is especially useful against crabgrass. Not sure what the application rate is per acre though to figure out the cost. It seems that both are friendly to Alfalfa and OG.

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
3,271 Posts
Well, what you do in fall is go after winter annuals. Around here duracor if you don't sell the hay off the farm, weedmaster if you do. Best time here is mid October. The problem for you is they will work on your alfalfa as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tested one of our larger fields of OG Fescue mix with Prowl H2O last spring, main target being Foxtail infestation. I also rested the field this season, only brush hogged. Results were very impressive. I found going at max strength in early spring (just a single application April 1st), for me here in Northern KY did the trick amazingly well. I'll be reapplying this spring and including additional fields to see if the resting along with the Prowl vs no rest just Prowl makes a noticeable difference. Will let you know how it turns out and what adjustments may be needed. I have an alfalfa field I'll be addressing as well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That would be great to hear how it goes on OG and Alfalfa with Prowl H2O. Kentucky isn't far away so it should be close to the same conditions for me. I don't really have the luxury of resting a field without it affecting the bottom line so I hope it doesn't make a big difference. I am going to try Prowl on a OG field and an Alfalfa field myself this spring. I would rather do the single heavy application to get it over with, if it makes sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts