Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m building a Big bale spear for 3 x 4 bales. I was wondering what length should the spears be And how many spear should I have I was thinking 4 spears on a span of 6 feet and each spear being 24in. What are your thoughts?

·
An ounce of doing is worth a pound of talk
1,206 Posts
I would go with the 49" spears. We tried the 39" spears on ours and it did not work well with our 3x4 bales. That extra 10" makes a big difference.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have 36 in spears with 3 x 3 bales that actually measure 32in wide by 36in tall. They do go all the way thru the bales if you push them all the way in but it is only a problem if you pick wrapped bales from the stack, then you can poke holes in the next bale. I have 3 spears on 2 ft centers 4 ft total, haven't had any problem with 8 ft long bales. I have up rights and if I stab the bottom bale high they do reach up a little ways on the 3rd bale if lifting 3 but normally just do 2 at a time. Are you building it to lift 1 or 2 or 3? you may need more spears when lifting more bales. I have even used mine on 4 x 5 round bales and it worked good and you could pick up 2 with the outer spears if you set them side by side. The neighbor bought a set with 4 spears and they must be about 30 in. It was made for 1 bale as it didn't have uprights, we used 2 x 3 tubing for uprights and on that one we added a cross bar at the top in front of the uprights, it works good for keeping loads nice and straight. 36 in spears also work to move a stack of pallets when stacking in the shed so you don't have to switch to pallet forks, anything shorter probably wouldn't work for that.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,771 Posts
I use the 1- 3/4” dia. x 39" overall length spears for every kind of big bale. 2x3 - 3x3 - 3x4 squares and 4x5 to 5x6 rounds, every imaginable kind of crop. Loader tractor has 4 spears, skid steer has 3. I dislike the 49” OAL spears. Most of the time the extra length is unnecessary, makes the spear harder to pull out, and they are more likely to snap off.

6 foot span is fine for squares but if you try to use that for two 6 foot dia round bales you will find it is usable but not ideal.

Wanna go way hog wild with bale handling? My nephew has a set of spears for a Volvo L70E wheel loader; it has 3 groups of 3 spears, each group is in a triangle with one spear on top and 2 below. It was intended to handle 3 big round stalk bales at once which it does well to the tune of 20-30,000 bales a year, but it also will real easily handle 6 2x3 squares at once in a 3 high 2 wide configuration.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have 36 in spears with 3 x 3 bales that actually measure 32in wide by 36in tall. They do go all the way thru the bales if you push them all the way in but it is only a problem if you pick wrapped bales from the stack, then you can poke holes in the next bale. I have 3 spears on 2 ft centers 4 ft total, haven't had any problem with 8 ft long bales. I have up rights and if I stab the bottom bale high they do reach up a little ways on the 3rd bale if lifting 3 but normally just do 2 at a time. Are you building it to lift 1 or 2 or 3? you may need more spears when lifting more bales. I have even used mine on 4 x 5 round bales and it worked good and you could pick up 2 with the outer spears if you set them side by side. The neighbor bought a set with 4 spears and they must be about 30 in. It was made for 1 bale as it didn't have uprights, we used 2 x 3 tubing for uprights and on that one we added a cross bar at the top in front of the uprights, it works good for keeping loads nice and straight. 36 in spears also work to move a stack of pallets when stacking in the shed so you don't have to switch to pallet forks, anything shorter probably wouldn't work for that.
Just building for one at a time but if need be I’ll modify it to take 2 at a time. I usually don’t buy hay because I make my own rounds or small squares but this year was different.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts