Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wondered what other people carry for a pocket knife these days. They don't get seen like they once did.

I carried a Case Stockman for years. Then started carrying a single blade lockback or linerlock with pocket clip and/or a Case Sodbuster, Jr.

Thinking about getting another Stockman but want US made, if possible. This will be a working knife.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,977 Posts
I have a smaller Gerber. USA made. Replaced the Colonial USA made pocket knife that I carried for most of 30 years and finally lost.

This is what I have now.

·
5,880 Posts
Bought a few serrated blade lock back knives from local store bankruptcy. One left that works after 15 years. Found a Klein lock back in a farmyard, been carrying that now but miss the serrations for cutting baler twine out of knotters.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I carry a 1550 ken onion kershaw. I heard they had stopped making them and picked up 5 more here local and sure enough you can not find one except on the net. This knife is the only one I have found that I can take out of my pocket open it use it close it and put it back in my pocket while wearing double palm oil field cotton gloves. It has assisted opening and is a single blade locking knife made of very good metal and made right here in the good old USA. Kershaw makes several different knives very close to the 1550 which is not serrated. I am in no way tied into kershaw I just found a product I like and have put through its paces repeatedly over the last 15 or 18 years.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Leatherman 300. Has served me well for a long time. I know it's not technically a knife but it does have a straight blade and serrated plus many other features that have saved my a$$quite a few times.

·
An ounce of doing is worth a pound of talk
1,246 Posts
I carry the Leatherman sidekick. You can't beat there guarantee. I have broke the knife blade once, and the belt clip once, each time the replaced, or fixed it. There are times having a plyers on you is very nice.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Not a fan of folding knives as they fail on me way to fast. Bench made skinner fixed blade. Cuts hay when I plug up like no tomorrow and just an all around great farm knife.

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
3,226 Posts
Buck 501. Every day, feel lost and naked without it. Have to rem to check my pockets before leaving for the airport. I have contributed several to TSA

·
Registered
375 Posts
Whenever we fill a silage bag, we rent the machine from a local business. They will send a man out to set it up, and take it down. There is a fair amount of knife work in getting set up. One time, the man that came out was using a butterfly knife. It was really entertaining to watch him use that knife. He would take it out of his pocket, give it a shake and a twirl, it was open and ready to use. Another shake and twirl, it was folded up, and back in his pocket. He obviously was an experienced user.

The butterfly knife is illegal in some states, understandably so. It would be so easy to hurt yourself or someone else, but it sure was fun to watch an experienced user!

Paul

·
Hay Master
1,267 Posts
My "going out" knife is a Buck 329, a two-blade yellow handle trapper style.

My "work" knife is a single-blade lock back that I got as a "free" reward for renewing with the NRA. It's a China knock-off but has held up well after several years of abuse.

I, like many of my contemporaries here on HayTalk, carried a knife all the way from 1st Grade to High School graduation. Nobody thought a thing about it. Nowadays, a kid draws a picture of a knife and gets suspended.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I carry a Leatherman. I use it all the time and usually use most of the features too. Even the saw and file.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The one my late father carried with him when he farmed. Sort of like having Dad out there in the hayfield with me like when I was growing up.
This is the winner in my book.

I packed a Zippo folder for over 26 years that my Dad bought for me on my 10th birthday. Still have it, still works. It was replaced with a Benchmade Lerch that my Wife bought me almost 8 years ago for our anniversary. I would have purchased one for my son, but they are not sold any longer.

·
Hay Master
1,267 Posts
Thinking about this post some more. Years ago, a lot of guys would carry "Old Timer" brand of folding pocket knives. I don't know what it was about those knives, but you could sharpen them to a "razors edge" I've had several over the years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts