Hay & Forage Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at planting alfalfa some more alfalfa in the late summer and want to use a brillion seeder to get the job done. I was wondering what kind of tillage work do I need to do to the ground. The landowner sprays all the weeds out and constantly mows and the grass growing in there is some short thin stemmed ornamental grass and is not dense at all. I was thinking of running a harrow through a few times to fluff up the soil a bit. What do you guys think?

·
4,348 Posts
Before doing any tillage , I would want the herbicide history of the field to make sure there is not residual herbicide there harmful to the alfalfa. If the only thing that grows is grass now that is not a good sign .
I am not a fan of tillage. Running a harrow threw an old sod will just make a mess but if you must till you must do it right.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I’m looking at planting alfalfa some more alfalfa in the late summer and want to use a brillion seeder to get the job done. I was wondering what kind of tillage work do I need to do to the ground. The landowner sprays all the weeds out and constantly mows and the grass growing in there is some short thin stemmed ornamental grass and is not dense at all. I was thinking of running a harrow through a few times to fluff up the soil a bit. What do you guys think?
Brillion likes a prepared soil, if memory serves.

·
Registered
103 Posts
yes....brillion needs prepared soil to work correctly unless you just want to drop metered seed on top of the ground

its just a metered drop seeder with a cultipacker behind it

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He used to spray 2-4d and weed master but all he does right now is just mows it. I wouldn’t even call it sod it’s very spotty grass. The weeds are extremely minimal. I’ll probably end up disking it 4in. The. thing I’m worried about is drought and not getting even growth for winter because of non adequate moisture. It’s really dry up at our place.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got a small soybean field this past year and just used a disc with the last pass just to smooth it all out. I was planning on using a harrow to do it right but it was even enough. In the end it all went pretty well, field looks good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts