Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
28 Posts
So as my name implies I've posted a few times on here in the past on how to get up and running.... Well last year was my first year baling and I did quite well.... I didn't have any to sell but my moisture probe was always between 13 and 18.... I was proud :D

Fast forward to yesterday... I fertilized for first time (my fields have been pillaged year after year for 10+ years by local farmers with nothing put back in) and of course it showed... It was much thicker than last year. I pulled 18 off 10 acres last year (yes that bad) and this yesterday I got 35. Needless to say I was ecstatic... Until I stabbed a bale with my probe :angry: I let this mix of clover and grass sit for 2.5 days... Weather man said rain so I raked it... let it sit for a few hours and baled. I knew some of it was going to be a little moist but I got scared because of the rain... I cut 20 acres...

Well...... I have hay that I probed today that bounce from 24 to 15 to 35 to maxed out at 99 in different places... Yes all in each bale with multiple stabs. It's literally a crap shoot for where the moisture is at.

What do I do with this? I have over 50 bales and it's only a day old. My animals can't eat this that fast. Does it have any value? Can I sell it? What would these even go for as far as a price if they can still be used? If I can sell, any ideas where to market them? These are all 1000+ lb 4x5 bales netted...

The best part is, IT DIDN'T RAIN!!!! I literally got all fussed up over nothing... And now I'm down 50+ bales :( I learned my lesson... better to wait longer if it rains and have hay then have no hay at all. Won't do it again... Did I mention this is my second year? :D Any help or direction would be really really really appreciated. Especially if I can get back a little money off of these so I can buy hay for my animals with it :(

·
3,916 Posts
The clover is what has your moisture readings high. What are the temps reading?

I had some earlier this year read very high. I let it sit outside just to be safe. A week later the hay was reading normal in moisture and temps, though the temps never got over 100 degrees. I am blaming some of it on the device reading high.

I have unrolled and fed 19 rolls and they look and smell good.

What I am saying is all may not be lost. You may check those 50 in a couple of weeks and find them to be alright.

If they indeed turn out to have gone bad, do you have a reclamation market or mushroom market?

Congratulations on your success so far. On the non bragging parts, well those are just the experiences that make us better farmers.

·
Hay Master
4,982 Posts
I agree--clover is jacking your readings up. But it will depend on how is dry, how much is off scale.

To be on the safe side, keep it outside with about a foot between bales all the way around to let them breathe.

Go get a case or two of beer them come back and see what you've got in a couple of weeks. Keep an eye on the temperatures but don't worry about moisture at this point.

I use bales that go really bad as temporary dry dams.

BTW: Where are you located? (It really helps when we are responding.)

Hope this helps.

Ralph

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow thanks for the fast responses guys... You can imagine how nuts I am right now... Very disappointed with what happened but it's a lesson I needed :) Humidity and dew point was really low... Thought that clover and trefoil (forgot to mention this) would have been done in...

I bought the Delmhorst fx2000 and I don't think it checks temps. :( Kind of ridiculous they're so expensive and it wouldn't check temps lol. Any recommendation on what would be the best? Good education because I was always only focused on moisture... not temperature so I need to pay more mind to this. Funny no matter how much you "research" things are overlooked.

Also I'm located in northern WI... I'll try to update my profile so it reflects that. No dice on mushroom farms or anything :( I was just wondering if I'd be better off selling it to someone that could use it right away :confused: I'd hate to just let all of this spoil.

The wettest spots are at the bottom... That's where the readings won't even register... They just max out at 99. Do you think I should roll them or leave em be? I haven't moved them off the field yet so they're just sitting in the field. If I can't sell them... I really hope you guys are right and these things dry up a bit.

Like I said I'm going crazy right now so after I made this thread I tried googling a few things and found this site;

http://dyersvillesales.com/hay-auction/hay-auction-results/

Looks like they are selling "wet" hay. Dunno if that's what mine would be classified as but I suppose I'd be responsible to get it down there...

·
Apprentice Forage Grower
5,228 Posts
What are you feeding? I would think if cattle they will salvage as much as they can this winter. The rest they will lay on. In the end push it in a pile and you can have more fertilizer after it composts. The value in fertilizer may be more than the discount taken now.

·
Hay Hoser
1,009 Posts
Don't fret, dead moose and rjmoses have some great points, especially the beer part. Live and learn, if your good, you never stop learning.

Reactions: AndyL and deadmoose

·
Super Moderator
8,726 Posts
If you are going to make hay you need to have more patience

Like others said.Place them out in the open with atleast a ft between each bale.They will probably carmelize.Cattle will actualy like it.

Maybe you need some cattle to feed the ooops bales?

·
Registered
717 Posts
If it's only been baled for a day you might consider wrapping if you have access to a wrapper.Would make good cattle feed. Good luck, we're all still learning.

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all! Sounds like I need to calm down and let it ride. Deadmoose I'm feeding yaks... I think they'd pick through it too but I wasn't sure if the whole bale would be shot... Then I'd hate to have animals dying from moldy hay? Not sure how common this is... Like I said... Only 2 years in... trying to revive my grandfathers defunct farm.

We were going to move them in another pasture but decided to leave them in one pretty grazed down (don't worry... It's getting worked up and planted next spring anyway) This way they'll eat the bales we put it. Dropped 2 in the day I baled and will continue to do so for a bit. We don't have the numbers to feed all of this to them but as you all seem to agree on... Things could be okay.

Sorry discbine no wrapper either :( Appreciate the idea though

1 - 10 of 10 Posts