Hay & Forage Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I’m sure you have checked this but if a blade is installed on the wrong disc it will cause a very poor and erratic cut. Don’t ask how I know. You would not think it would make such a noticeable difference but it does.
Ditto it never hurts to double/triple check that blades are installed correctly

·
Registered
2 Posts
Boys its sure looks like that outer tire is about 2" too wide and is tramping hay... Is the rim reversible? Even the promo vid on their site shows the nice big flotation tire catching uncut hay and starting to tramp it.

I see some smooth bedstraw in your pics, here sometimes that will catch and drag on the outside of my mower causing an issue but usually easy to spot.
We have had the front protective curtain cup and bend crop forward as they mow. I cant tell you to modify or remove a section of the curtain but it is related to your situation. It looked just like it had been run over by the tire but no waythat could happen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Hi all, thanks for this! Sorry for my lag, I didn't get any notifications of replies - sorry for that.

This grass didn't seem to be leaning into the cut, but I've had that happen before - I'll keep an eye on that to see if it's a factor, it's possible. Any advice if that's an issue?

That's an interesting point about the reed canary - it might have indeed been worse in that spot in the field. I don't tend to have much reed canary, but it is in one spot in that field. Do you think since it's so tall growing, it's easier to get trampled? Seems logical.

My former mower is a little New Holland HM234 disc mower, 3 point mounted. No outside shield on that, just the curtain, since it's 3ph, so if it's indeed the outer frame/curtain, it's not an issue I've had before.

I have indeed triple-checked the blade orientation, but I appreciate that idea - I would love if it was something that simple. But truly seems like more of a trample issue than a cutting issue (the trampled strip is getting cut at about 10-12" height).

Thanks for the curtain feedback - I've been wondering about that along with the outer frame. I'm not about to modify it yet (warranty and all), but I do wonder about pinning it up or something else temporary to try it out.

Again, thanks everyone! I'm all ears for continued ideas, this is helpful.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I may have overlooked this idea being already given but is it possible to take off that outside curtain and try cutting without that in place? This would be one way to narrow down the possibilities

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I may have overlooked this idea being already given but is it possible to take off that outside curtain and try cutting without that in place? This would be one way to narrow down the possibilities
That's a great idea! I honestly hadn't thought of taking it off altogether (just to try and see if it makes a difference). Was wondering about trimming it but a) new mower, hate to start permanently altering it, and b) warranty... (never know what they'll claim affected something, worst case...) So, I'll take a closer look at that today, thanks!

Hoping to mow more tomorrow, so step one will be higher cut and more floatation - but if still happening, I'll give that a whirl.

Appreciated!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hi there all! Just wanted to offer some updates after long stretch and several more field mowings.

The short version is the problem persists, no matter what combo I try.

I've now mowed 7 fields with it - some are worse, some are better (but all have had some strips of un-mowed material, all following the same pattern/problem.)

Things I've tried:
  • Both main tractors (Massey 275 and 165 - the latter has a better hydraulic float function, which I was hopeful would make a difference. Nada.)
  • Removing the outer curtain
  • Every single float setting (except #7, which was clearly too heavy), and multiple height settings for each
  • Slower ground speed
  • Faster ground speed
  • (slightly) slower PTO speed
The conditions that cause it still seem to be the tallest/thickest hay - it'll only happen in maybe ~25% of a given field (plus/minus - one was particularly atrocious). I actually had a really sandy portion of the last field that was almost like second cut, it was so dry. Very leafy, and short, and the mower mowed through that clean as can be. So at least I'll leave a clean cut the second go-around, with any luck...

Only one more theory has come up, and I'm curious what you all think. This particular model doesn't have a swath board, whereas (apparently) the TM710 does. This mower drops a very nice, wide swath - but with only inches between the swath and the uncut (and sometimes trampled) hay. I (and a couple of others) are wondering if this means that even with very minimal overlap, the mower's left side is riding on the mowed hay, and making it even that much higher, causing it to miss (or more accurately, high-mow) the trampled strip.

The good news is I can get an optional swath board. The stinker is it's ~$700, and who knows when I'll get it. (I'd just make one if I wasn't worried about being accused of voiding the warranty...)

I may just take the plunge and order it, since I'm almost halfway done with first cut, and I'd love to get this solved before I finish first, and then (with any luck!) don't have the problem in second, and wind up in next year's first cut without a solution... (Also my tedder is just wide enough for two swaths as-is, and a swath kick-in would help)

Anyway - long update, but continually curious for folks' thoughts. Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I’m with you as I’d probably have to buy it for piece of mind. Have you had your dealer out to see the problem? If not get them out there to document this problem while informing them that this stripping is the reason of your intended purchase. If this swath board solved the issue then the manufacturer should be responsible for supplying this item to you at no or reduced cost. Obviously there may be some fine print somewhere but it’s a thought.

·
2,826 Posts
I have not been following this post, but I just took a close look at the photo of the cutter bar. It may just be the way the photo makes it appear, but the knives on the fifth disc appear to be ccw blades instead of cw Blades.

After another look I think there are more discs with the wrong blades. Turn the first disc cw. And look at the knives. The lowest part of the knife should pass over the cutter bar first.

·
2,826 Posts
Looks like both sides are like that to move the hay to the center. I wonder if that is part of his problem. It could be the 5th disc can not get the cut material away fast enough causing back feeding around the end disc.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts