Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new to me 605 SM. When I bale hay, the inner core of the bake is tight but the out 6-8 inches of the diameter (across the entire bale from the round side in) are as loose as if it was just loose hay stuffed under the net wrap. I can slide my whole arm up to my shoulder in it. I am making the bales 67 inches. The tension gauge is a little beyond the green slightly into the yellow when hay is feeding in right up until the point where the wrap starts. When hay in not fed in steady such as when I need travel between short rows, the tension gouge will drop to the lower green.

At first I thought the net wrap was not tight but since the loose hay is not just the out side of the bale but is also significantly inside the bale, it seems like something else. I have also tried replacing the tension netwrap tension brake pad.

There are no visible hydraulic leaks. It seems strange to me that the gauge show tension (slightly in the yellow) until the wrapping process starts but up to 8 inches of the outer diameter is loose. Even if the wrap was not tight or it loosed during the wrap, it would not seem like that would cause the outer 8 inches of the bale to be loose.

I wish I had looked and noted the tension on the gauge during the wrap process. I only know the tension bars on the monitor fluctuate during the wrap. I assumed that is normal but since I am new to the baler I do not know for sure.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice.

Note - I know may of you look at multiple forums. I have also asked this question on other forums so I apologize for the duplication.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Welcome to HT
Loose hay on outside of bale under net indicates hyd tension exerted on belts must be somehow getting lower.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to HT
Loose hay on outside of bale under net indicates hyd tension exerted on belts must be somehow getting lower.
I would think that as well but it confuses me that the gauge does not show a drop in pressure right up to when the wrapping starts.

·
Registered
59 Posts
on our vermeer we have to adjust the net tension to keep the last few inches tight, kind of forces you to use stronger net wrap

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
on our vermeer we have to adjust the net tension to keep the last few inches tight, kind of forces you to use stronger net wrap
I think I need to tighten up my net wrap as well. I think it will help but I am not sure it is my only issue. It does not seem tight net wrap will effect the density of the last 6-8 inches of the bale diameter.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I need to tighten up my net wrap as well. I think it will help but I am not sure it is my only issue. It does not seem tight net wrap will effect the density of the last 6-8 inches of the bale diameter.
I got some suggestion on another forum. It was suggested that the net wrap and my tractor SCV may be the issue. Net wrap needs to tighten up. I also may have a pressure leak on the tractor allowing the pressure to escape.

I started thinking about this more so I went to trace hydraulic hoses. I did not realize the tractor hydraulics are used for the tension control. I thought it just lifted the tailgate but the hydraulic lines go through the tension control value .

I am coming to the opinion part of my issue is the 40 year old tractor running the baler.

A few other things I notice..

When I bale corn stocks I do not have this issue, but since I get a full size in much less time with corn stalks it may not have time to lose pressure.
When baling short rows or thin hay it is a lot worse. That makes sense since it takes lot longer to bale because it is thin, I am doing more turning around, or travel between short rows.
The last bale I rolled was clean up and a few short rows. It took a lot longer to bale. It was only 3 feet in diameter but even the core was loose. IT makes sense since IT took quite a bit of time to finished the clean up.
I notice some oily hay chaff around the SCV hookups used for the tailgate. Not a lot, but maybe enough to loose some pressure.

What I do not understand and does not make sense is if I was losing pressure from the tractor hydraulics, wouldn't that show up on the pressure density gauge on the baler? That stayed consistent right up to the wrap.

I wonder if I could "refresh" the pressure by pushing he hydraulic level half way thought the bale to reset the pressure?

I am also going to look into getting the seals on the tractor replaced to try to hold pressure through the bale.

I will not know until second crop if this will work.

Thanks to everyone for the advice

Dave

·
Super Moderator
8,715 Posts
The hyd tension is a closed system,nothing to do with the tractor hydraulics.Possibility it needs to be charged,low on oil from a leak?

I run mine so it touches the red when baling.

tighten up the spring on net break.If to tight the net will break,stronger the net the tighter you can go.

How mnaywraps are you putting on?3 wraps will hold tighter then 2

Netwrap has stretch to it 5-10% so if not put on tight it an stretch when you dump the bale.

Baing higher moisture will help make a tighter bale also.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,598 Posts
Gonna toss something out there from my NH round baler experience. It seems like those balers loose some of the leverage of the belt tension system as the bale nears full size. It is observable on the bale shape bars. Since you say the pressure gauge doesn’t drop, I wonder if the gauge is not showing the correct pressure and that the real pressure is considerably lower than what it shows.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I got some suggestion on another forum. It was suggested that the net wrap and my tractor SCV may be the issue. Net wrap needs to tighten up. I also may have a pressure leak on the tractor allowing the pressure to escape.

I started thinking about this more so I went to trace hydraulic hoses. I did not realize the tractor hydraulics are used for the tension control. I thought it just lifted the tailgate but the hydraulic lines go through the tension control value .

I am coming to the opinion part of my issue is the 40 year old tractor running the baler.

A few other things I notice..

When I bale corn stocks I do not have this issue, but since I get a full size in much less time with corn stalks it may not have time to lose pressure.
When baling short rows or thin hay it is a lot worse. That makes sense since it takes lot longer to bale because it is thin, I am doing more turning around, or travel between short rows.
The last bale I rolled was clean up and a few short rows. It took a lot longer to bale. It was only 3 feet in diameter but even the core was loose. IT makes sense since IT took quite a bit of time to finished the clean up.
I notice some oily hay chaff around the SCV hookups used for the tailgate. Not a lot, but maybe enough to loose some pressure.

What I do not understand and does not make sense is if I was losing pressure from the tractor hydraulics, wouldn't that show up on the pressure density gauge on the baler? That stayed consistent right up to the wrap.

I wonder if I could "refresh" the pressure by pushing he hydraulic level half way thought the bale to reset the pressure?

I am also going to look into getting the seals on the tractor replaced to try to hold pressure through the bale.

I will not know until second crop if this will work.

Thanks to everyone for the advice

Dave
I will add my experience with a similar issue. On a 504SI the density cylinders were bypassing. The gauge would move close to normal but the pressure was dropping while making a bale. Rebuilding the cylinders made a huge difference.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I spoke with a Vermeer mechanic. He told me my issue is one of two things. Either I have a leaking cylinder that is bypassing inside or the control value is leaking pressure. Since there is no visible oil leaks it must be bypassing inside the value or cylinder. The system is a closed system and the Hydraulic density system needs to be recharged after the repair. I do not know what recharging the systems involves but they tell me I cannot do it my self. I guess I will need to take it down to the dealer. 😟

Thanks for the comments and advice

1 - 10 of 10 Posts