Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
.22-250 is what you need.

Spent a LONG time researching and researching same thing. Bought a .17 Rem bc I loved how fast it was and wanted to start reloading. Just had to be different then my buddies. Never took up reloading so all I have now is a really nice gun in an expensive/hard to find round.

The .22-250 is fast, flat, can stretch quite a distance, fur friendly if you reload, popular and available.

·
An ounce of doing is worth a pound of talk
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you guys have problems find ammo? Around here they can't seem to keep it on the shelves. The shelves are almost as bare as the toilet paper shelves at the beginning of this pandemic.

·
Hay Master
2,199 Posts
Our stores have signs at the front door stating no ammo available. I bought a Ruger AR15 with my last stimmy check and haven't fired a single round through it yet because I don't want to waste the ammo. So it just sits on the gun rack in the bedroom closet with a loaded 30 round mag waiting on Joe Biden to come looking for it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You might want to leave him a crumb trail if he is to have any chance at all. As far as the rifle a .243 is by far the best there is. Very impressive accuracy and speed I have a single shot bull barrel with a 50mm 24 power scope works great for beavers and coyotes, but when we get after the hogs I have to break out the 6.5 creedmore it's not any better just a lot faster reloading.

·
Super Moderator
15,799 Posts
I want a varmint rifle. What is your preferred caliber?
I keep two varminters. A long range for over 100 yards and a short range for 100 yards or less, The short range I use for shooting around the house mostly. Not nearly as loud popping off.

The long range is used mainly for coyotes, hogs, and ground hogs.

Preferred calibers are .223 long range and .22 magnum for short range. I have a .17 but it won't kill anything immediately if it is not a head shot.

Regards, Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
What varmints are you targeting and at what maximum range to you intend to shoot them? And how many do you anticipate seeing in an area at one time? It would be hard to beat a good AR-15 for accuracy, durability(assume it will ride in a farm truck or tractor most of the time), and ease of use. Ammo will probably be easier to find for it since it's the most popular rifle in the country, but it will still be scarce. If your varmints are going to get much bigger then coyotes, I would start looking at a larger round. 243s are great, but if your main varmint is prairie dogs and you're going to be shooting hundreds of them, the barrel life isn't great. You'll get about 1,000 to 1,500 accurate rounds from a 243 but several thousand from a 223.

·
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have been leaning towards a 223, and would be shooting mostly coyotes. I pretty much took care of all the prairie dogs around the farm a few years ago. What I did not get with my 22 the resident fox took out.

·
Registered
977 Posts
22 Hornet for short shots, 22-250 for longer bigger stuff, makes head shots with ease...

Reactions: carcajou

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
3,009 Posts
I use my custom built 280 ackley with #5 28.5 barrel on a ruger #1 action. A little heavy for some things but very flat shooting. Killed turkeys at 275 yds, longest available shot here, coyote at 380 yds. 140 gr Sierra 59grs re19.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've had a Rem 220 Swift since the early 70's. 18 power Burris scope. It's just not fair it's so fast flat and accurate. Ammo is hard to find and expensive, but man... is it ever fun to shoot. I used to live in Western Colorado, long shots. Coyotes and ground hogs.

·
Hay Something
1,494 Posts
I use a .243, but it's overkill and is getting more spendy to shoot. I have a hankering to get my hands on and try out a 22-250. It is fun to shoot them, but I've eliminated a lot more of them by spring trapping (before they drop their young'uns) than picking them off one by one as they present themselves.

·
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now if I could just find some ammo, I then could go out and have some fun with it. I bought it just so when checking cows out on the Red Desert this summer, if I see a coyote, well lets just say he is going to have a very bad day. I'm going to put a little lead in his get-along.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts