Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to grow clover and alfalfa and maybe other forages and cover crops between rows of Aronia Berry bushes. The rows are planted on 14 ft centers, the bushes will grow to about 6 ft wide. 3 feet of the bush will grow over into the trough between rows on both sides. I will grow cover crops of clover and alfalfa in the troughs between rows to prevent weeds, prevent erosion, and to provide the green for compost that will be used for fertilizing the bushes. So I will have approximately 7-8 feet between the rows to grow these cover crops. My question is due to the confined space what can I use to cut the crop and get it in a wagon? Most mowers run to the side or are 10-12 ft wide. Then to rake it into a windrow would be difficult. Is there something out there that I can pull behind the tractor that will cut it and blow it into a following wagon that all will line up directly behind the tractor that is no more than 7 feet wide?

Thank you for helping this newbie

Hollis

·
Registered
561 Posts
Mathews company, they make grain driers and stalk choppers used to make a green chopper that pulled right in line behind a tractor, don't know if they make them any more, have to try and look them up.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Self propelled forage harvester with a direct cut head.Or plant the berries further apart to fit what equipment you have available. It always ends up being more costly and having to make compromises when trying to getting 2 crops from the same acre. So weight the costs is it really worth it .

Had a niegbor that tried raising sheep in a orchard ended up doing a poor job with both crops.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Looked up mathews and they still make stalk choppers but didn't see green choppers, maybe you could try calling the company. And yes brady also made a pull behind also. I wonder if anyone makes a new green chopper? Maybe new holland but it is a side pull.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys. I think the disc mowers can run along side or behind the tractor but how would I get it off the ground and into the wagon? I thought I saw a video of someone pulling something directly behind a tractor that blew it into a wagon pulled directly behind it (maybe a conditioner)?

·
419 Posts
How much are you looking to spend? you might be able to find an old Fox or Field Queen self propelled forage harvestor with a direct cut head. Doesn't sound like you'll be using it all that much, so I would think an old machine would serve. New or newer equipment will be damn expensive for no more than you will use it.

Any custom guys in the area?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How much are you looking to spend? you might be able to find an old Fox or Field Queen self propelled forage harvestor with a direct cut head. Doesn't sound like you'll be using it all that much, so I would think an old machine would serve. New or newer equipment will be damn expensive for no more than you will use it.

Any custom guys in the area?
Remember I only have about 7 ft of width to work with

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.