Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a 3pt mounted cutter. I have a Krone EC 3200 10' trailed. It was a little rough when I bought it, and after two seasons and about 1000 bales, it's even rougher now. I have very rough fields, hidden obstacles, ditches, creeks, a Motocross track full of berms (jumps are easy to see and avoid, it's the 1' tall berms in 4' tall grass that usually get me). My last cut, I decided to try to cut the tall weeds next to a ditch that didn't get cut earlier in the year on the first cut. I know, that's what my Batwing cutter is for. Bad mistake, apparently a good size tree floated up from the spring flood, and I didn't see it. By the time all said and done, I pretty much broke the cutter in 1/2. I've almost got it fixed now, lots of welding, some extra braces and new and/or straightened shafts. But I'm wondering if a mounted unit would be better at breaking back when I hit things. I've never used one. I'm considering a Krone, just because I already have blades and extras, and the bar seems really robust and I like the idea of no belts. But I'd consider any of them, and the Deere/Kuhn and Kubota ones seem to operate at greater angles which might be good for me. So, do mounted or trailed hold up better for a equipment abuser?
Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire
I'm hoping to test my cutter this weekend, I went to run it last weekend and discovered the PTO shaft is slightly twisted and will not extend, even after chaining it to a tree and trying to pull it apart with a 100 HP CTL.
Sky Vehicle Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
I personally don't like 3 pt hitch cutters. My Krone AM283s is mounted on a caddy. If your cutter was mine I'd locate a competent welder & attempt to have it repaired.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Already repaired it myself. Had to wait on a new PTO shaft to test it, but hopefully it's back up and running now. Can't afford to call someone in every time something breaks. It's probably time to upgrade or get a back-up cutter. Just trying to see if a mounted unit would be less susceptible to major damage in my situation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got a DM2028 and ran it on the tractor for about 80 acres before I decided I really didn't like that. Put it on a caddy and love it. It does have the breakaway which makes me feel a lot more comfortable around fence lines. But having said all that, I wouldn't use my disc mower for the type of work you're describing.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
I got a DM2028 and ran it on the tractor for about 80 acres before I decided I really didn't like that. Put it on a caddy and love it. It does have the breakaway which makes me feel a lot more comfortable around fence lines.
I agree once one operates a 3 pt cutter mounted on a caddy I think they would not desire to change cutter back with cutter attached to tractor 3pt hitch

·
5,741 Posts
I run a mounted pottinger, some things it clears better than a trailed mower, but other things it does not. Depends on the shape of the object. Less reaction time with the mounted mower too.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Not to sound disrespectful but there ain't no disc mower of any brand or type that will stand up to those conditions. There are some that will take that abuse longer than others but eventually all of them will fail, they are not designed for that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm pretty sure I'm not the 1st to hit an obstacle in or around the hay fields, this one being the biggest by far in 2 full seasons. It was hidden a lot better than it was during the pic. I do my best to keep the disc cutter away from obstacles and use my 15' batwing or a 7' Shredder in the rougher areas, but I took a pass too close to a ditch that didn't get cut earlier in the year as I was heading in. My fault, stupid, I get it, I'm paying the price. I'd love to smooth out my fields, I don't have the time or money right now. I work full time, raise a grandson, take care of 2 properties, cut/rake/bale/deliver about 500 bales a year, maintain all my own equipment, and some years promote a offroad M/C race on my property where I build about 10 miles of track, 20 acres of camping for about 100 RVs, and have about 1000 people there. I'm trying to buy a Ag sprayer to start doing some herbicide and fertilizer, I'm also keeping an eye out for a chisel plow, a double hay fork for the skidsteer, a new welder, and several other pieces of equipment. Most of my spare time recently has been trying to eradicate Honey locust trees. If only I had a lot more time and money. Most of the cutting is fairly normal. So besides the fact I'm not competent, a dumb*** or should flatten the property with a D-11 dozer, does a mounted unit or a trailed unit stand up better to damage when you do hit a more normal sized object? Also, what is it about the caddy that makes the mounted ones better?
Plant Nature Wood Shade Tree
Pic of me pulling my 7' shredder with the old Massey in one of the areas that didn't get cut.
Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Plant
When I had time to race myself before this hay business. One of the jumps on my M/X track.
Water Plant Sky Water resources Cloud
One of my floods, once the water was down enough to get back there. Also shows one of the reasons I do my own hay. This was when I had a "hay guy", all my hay was out, and I had been telling him to get his out. I got to clean out all those destroyed bales.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Sky Cloud Plant Ecoregion Natural environment
Not all areas are that bad, a few pics of areas during normal times.
Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree Grass
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape People in nature
I think I had too much preload on the springs and was getting too much bounce on the cutter here. I try to keep the preload on the heavy side in case I do hit things, but backed off a little after this cut, seemed a bit too wavy. I'd say I typically run at about 6mph, sometimes a little faster, sometimes a little slower.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Most of us have done something similar.

Krone mowers usually cut very cleanly, so that wavy field is the price you pay for heavily preloaded springs. It's worth the price.

People like caddies because they don't like mounting three point equipment. My neighbour has a Krone 9 foot mounted mower with flail conditioner and it is not easy to mount. I find one benefit of mounted mowers is manoeuvrability, and you lose that with a caddy. But you do gain the level of advance warning of hazards you get with trailed equipment, that is if you can see the hazard from the tractor seat.

I have two Taarup mower conditioners: a small three point mounted 305 and a larger trailed 307. I use the trailed machine for most work but in tight spots and in rocky areas I use the mounted machine. I can lift it a little on the three point to increase the preload on the flotation spring on the go if I am coming up to rocks and as soon as it hits a rock it jumps over it. I put up with the wavy field finish to cut a larger area of grass. Incidentally, the clever design of the 305 makes it easy to mount.

I'd say fix the machine you have and keep using it. Krone cutterbars are very solid. Keep plenty of preload on the flotation springs. And spend the money on the other equipment you want.

Roger

Roger

1 - 14 of 14 Posts