Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start with, I'm new to the forum and secondly I'm not a farmer. That alone may exempt me from the forum! :mellow: I do own a ranch in south Texas which requires the use of a tractor for a lot of shredding, minor dirt work, and moving large feeders and other heavy objects from time to time. I'm an absentee owner so my tractor work is restricted to several weekends a year. I currently own an open station MF471 and due to age related issues with heat and an influx of Africanized bee populations I'm looking to trade it in for a cab tractor. My wife has a John Deere 5525 with a cab (said if she was going to continue to help out she wanted to be cool and comfortable) and its been a great tractor for us. However; I've recently looked at the JD line and no offense to anyone but it appears the quality has dropped in the last 8 years. That may be the case with most lines, not sure. I love the MF I have and have had no problems whatsoever with it so I am now looking at the 4610M. I know absolutely nothing about any other brands so if anyone has suggestions about ones I should research please feel free to forward your opinions. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
15,799 Posts
You must be looking at the John Deere E series . If you want a nice tractor without a overload of bells and whistles, look at the 5M series....actually a little nicer series than your 5525. I think there are four models M5075, M5085, M5100 and M5115. The last three numbers being engine horse power.

The E series came out about the time frame you speak of and the E stands for economy.

Regards, Mike

·
10,015 Posts
I agree, I'd look at the "m" designation or the "D" series, I know of a few folks that have em and no issues.....or a 5525, perhaps you need a bit bigger than a 5 series and maybe step up to a 6 series tractor.
I guess it needs to have FEL (front end loader) for your moving tasks and dirt work....
Lastly, you didn't mention price and if you were possibly gonna buy new or used, 4x4 or not, lots of options for you.
Welcome to haytalk where we love to spend other folks money for them, green/red/orange/yella matters not ;)

·
Registered
871 Posts
There is no D anymore they are being phased out ...If you get a D series tractor it will be a last years model. The D series now carry's and E but new E's that use to be the D's are still 6 Series and the lighter tractor are the 5 series.

The 5 series goes up to a 100HP and the 6 series starts at 105HP.

This is all from my dealer last month when i purchased the last D that he said he could get.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input, all is thought provoking. My first idea was to go for the 5075M but then decided to focus on the 5085M. Not crazy about the E series due to the three piece frame which would allow twisting in certain situations. I would rather have the solid piece frame of the M series. Having said that, the reviews I've read on both have been less that stellar. It seems quality has left the building compared to 8 years ago. Only basing this on what I've read; maybe one of you has had a much better experience with the new models.

I hadn't looked for another 5525 due to thinking about a somewhat smaller unit, but I also know what I end up doing with my tractors and the HP comes in handy when needed.

I'm looking for 4x4 and plan on spending around $60K. I know I can get the M4610 99hp with loader for that. The JD dealer was wanting $61 for the 5075M and that is with an $11k discount. What kind of pricing are you guys seeing? Again, thanks for the feedback.

·
Full of questionable knowledge.
5,222 Posts
Thanks for the input, all is thought provoking. My first idea was to go for the 5075M but then decided to focus on the 5085M. Not crazy about the E series due to the three piece frame which would allow twisting in certain situations. I would rather have the solid piece frame of the M series. Having said that, the reviews I've read on both have been less that stellar. It seems quality has left the building compared to 8 years ago. Only basing this on what I've read; maybe one of you has had a much better experience with the new models.

I hadn't looked for another 5525 due to thinking about a somewhat smaller unit, but I also know what I end up doing with my tractors and the HP comes in handy when needed.

I'm looking for 4x4 and plan on spending around $60K. I know I can get the M4610 99hp with loader for that. The JD dealer was wanting $61 for the 5075M and that is with an $11k discount. What kind of pricing are you guys seeing? Again, thanks for the feedback.
Go to the MF website and build the tractor that you want. Then take about 17% off that price and that will be roughly your sales price for a Massey. As told to me by my sales man at MF.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Chazhk,

I went through a similar tractor shopping exercise last year to replace a utility tractor I use to feed hay in the winter on my cattle ranch.

A few considerations:

New or Used? It is nice to just write a check and get a new tractor with a warranty. However with a new tractor you also get all the new emission equipment. It should be a crime to put a DPF on a tractor! If you can find somethng from about 2006 through 2012 with low hours you get much more bang for the buck without the Tier 4 emissions compromises.

Size? There is no substitute for weight and HP. For general ranch work I find 100Hp the minimum (more if you are going to bale hay).

Transmission? For the tasks you described, you can probably get by with a 12 speed with dry clutch and power shuttle. However, if you ever plan to use it for haying you will want a wet clutch and a partial power shift.

Deere or anything else? You will pay more for green. I own JD, MF and Case IH. At the right price I could be happy with JD, NH, CIH or Kubota. Service and price decide.

When comparing tractors Tractordata.com and forums like this and AgTalk are useful resources.

·
70 Posts
You might also take a look at the T5 New Holland tractors. I own both New Holland T5 and John Deere M5 series tractors and actually prefer the ride and comfort of the T5. They are both almost new tractors, so time will tell as far as how they hold up. They were parked side by side this winter and I almost always picked the New Holland for feeding.

·
5,222 Posts
Also you won't find this is tractor promotional material and your sales person might forget to tell you. If the tractor has DEF, but maybe also the other new emission systems. There is a federal warranty that covers that and basically anything in the engine it would affect for 5 years 3000 hours. The service manager at my MF dealer told me this when I was asking him about the DEF systems. But I'm not sure Chazk if the 4600 or 4700 series has DEF or just particle filter.

Though I hope you wouldn't have any trouble pick the best dealer for service. LIke here the NH/CIH dealer's reputation for repair and service is going down the tube fast. While for me MF is ok and I have no idea about Deere as I've never used them.

·
5,222 Posts
Massey now has a 4700 series. Not sure if it's replacing the 4600 series or not.

http://www.masseyferguson.us/products/tractors/4700-series-utility-tractors.html

It's a nice looking tractor. It appears the 4700 is still not on their Build page at M-F.

It probably is replacing the 4600 series. Just like the 7700 series is replacing the 7600 series. That is one nice looking tractor. If my dad continues to not be able to do much on the farm due to health problems I will trade our MF1759 with a cab for one of these without a cab. I just don't like that 1759 except for how quiet it is. These 4700s and probably 4600s look great. Probably perfect size for small baling, raking, tedding, bush hogging and all that.

Reactions: Grateful11

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't thank you all enough for the input! Having a 2014 F250 I'm familiar with dealing with DEF but with a tractor it may mean more than just the annoyance of having to fill a tank.

It appears I need to trek on with the research. To date the conclusions I've drawn are: if I go with a JD stay away from the E series; at least 100hp which I agree with; M-F, NH, CIH or JD M series with the right size engine should be good tractors. As for new or used, I've always bought new vehicles for fear I may be picking up someone else's problems buying used. That may not be as much of a problem with tractors. The JD I bought was 4 years old and has been a great tractor for me so...

My problem is going to be service; the only dealer even close to me is the JD dealer. They come to the ranch and service both my JD and M-F but seem to always forget a part for the M-F and have to come back a few days later...Haven't even seen a blue tractor dealer south of I-10 down I-35 but I'll check it out. Thanks again!! Feel free to throw in any other advice or experience anyone has had with any of these brands.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Found out the M-F4700 is not out yet in the US. Dealer will get them in may. It's not replacing the 4600. The 4700 is supposedly a stronger built, heavier tractor for tougher projects according to the dealer.

Looks like I need to make a few road trips as the different brand dealers in this area are pretty scattered. Thanks all!

·
Registered
63 Posts
From my days hunting S Tx, you're choices might be limited. All I remember seeing is Deere dealers between San Antonio and Laredo. Even going west to Uvalde and Camp Wood I don't remember any dealers other than Deere. It's been a few years since I went out to Camp Wood so maybe the dealer situation has changed.

If you look at Deere, don't look at the 5075 in any version (E or M). I put the first 17 hours on one last spring before it decided to die while I was mowing hay on a custom ag job. The wiring harness melted down. Plus, it had power issues that I've since learned are not unusual on that tractor. I've talked around and learned of a number of folks who found similar power issues leading others to take their machines back to the dealership for something else in green. My sources tell me the 5075's come out of Mexico and are known to be dogs. It's a 3 cyl block and is clearly being pushed as the 5075 is the max hp of that block size.

The 5075 didn't come home with me as the dealer and I settled on upgrading to a 5085 (E). My only regret is I didn't know enough to move up to the M instead of the E. As of Sunday I only have 150 hours on the 5085 and have been pleased with it. The largest implement I pull is a MX-15 shredder. I ran it through 18" wet winter killed pasture grass in January and thick rye grass a few weeks ago. With the unit set at a 5" cut, the tractor had the power to pull the shredder in B Range, 1st or 2nd, depending on the grade of the land.

The 5085 MWFD, with loader, is on the order of $55000. I just looked at a 6 series (105 and 130) a few weeks back in case I hit the lottery or somehow come into more money than I know what to do with. The tractor with MWFD starts at around $60000. Add another $8000 or so for the loader and suddenly you're staring at numbers approaching $70000. Now, I will say, the 6 series is a beast compared to the 5 series and I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I wasn't in danger of getting laid off right now.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Tractor Data shows that the 6 series D tractors are manufactured in a factory at Saltillo, Mexico.

The 5 series E tractors show that some are manufatured in Augusta, Georgia and the others are manufactured in Pune, Maharashtra, India

·
Super Moderator
15,799 Posts
Tractor Data shows that the 6 series D tractors are manufactured in a factory at Saltillo, Mexico.

The 5 series E tractors show that some are manufatured in Augusta, Georgia and the others are manufactured in Pune, Maharashtra, India
The 5E series is made in India.... the 5E LIMITED series models were assembled in Augusta(5083 & 5093 & 5101).

Regards, Mike

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.