Hay & Forage Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Okay, folks, looks like we are making a deal on the baler, mower, and rake. How do y'all go about buying this equipment. Is there a way to make sure its owned free and clear? The man I'm buying from seems like a straight shooter. He says there is no money owed on anything. Is a bill of sale all that's required? Any input is welcome! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
1. Hand them cash
2. Load on trailer
3. Drive away

If you're doing it for tax purposes, you could ask they write you a bill of sale so you can prove you purchased it.

I guess I've never worried about whether anything was owned free and clear, but I've never bought anything new enough to have that worry.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Travis
I suggest to check to determine if you can locate an outstanding UCC-1 on either the baler or cutter

·
Registered
406 Posts
I always buy old stuff never worried about if the other guy still owed. Call the dealer if there is a sticker with his name on the baler. Will not be 100% but a good chance dealer financed if the guy was on shaky ground finically to begin with. Now that you have me going down the negative side of people call the sheriff and check if any one has a stolon baler listed as well, as new and cheap as it is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Okay, after visiting with him again, I realized their is a lien on the baler through new holland finance. I was getting mixed up with my conversation on some other equipment I was looking at. Has anyone had experience with this sort of a situation? He says he will pay off the lien as soon as I give him the money. I really do trust him, but don't want to take any chances. If he gives me a bill of sale, can the finance co. still come after the equipment? I will visit with my banker tomorrow, but would like any advice or experiences this group has to offer.

·
Hay Master
1,875 Posts
1. Hand them cash
2. Load on trailer
3. Drive away

If you're doing it for tax purposes, you could ask they write you a bill of sale so you can prove you purchased it.

I guess I've never worried about whether anything was owned free and clear, but I've never bought anything new enough to have that worry.
Get a bill of sale regardless, never know when you may be stopped by the authorities and have to explain how you come to own it.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I suggest for you & owner to go to local dealer to pay off equipment or to make 2 checks. Make a check to New Holland for pay off & make check to equipment owner for balance.
Yes if present owner fails to pay off New Holland & local dealer knows location of mortgaged equipment New Holland has the right to repossess the mortgaged equipment. BTDT in yrs past.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Okay, after visiting with him again, I realized their is a lien on the baler through new holland finance. I was getting mixed up with my conversation on some other equipment I was looking at. Has anyone had experience with this sort of a situation? He says he will pay off the lien as soon as I give him the money. I really do trust him, but don't want to take any chances. If he gives me a bill of sale, can the finance co. still come after the equipment? I will visit with my banker tomorrow, but would like any advice or experiences this group has to offer.
In science there's a phrase we go by: In God we trust, all others must show data.

The same applies here...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I agree that it would be best to make sure lien is paid off. It seems like a lot of extra trouble, but certainly less than having a problem down the road. And maybe it won't be as much trouble as I think. I'm sure these finance companies are used to this sort of thing, and should have simple way to square it away.

·
Registered
512 Posts
2 good reasons to get a bill of sale is if the person was to pass away unexpectedly his hand shake deal means nothing to others and just a for instance if there was a partnership on a piece of equipment you would have something to go back to.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Good afternoon. I figure that after all the help you guys have given, I should give a little update. I made a deal on the cutter, rake, and baler. I made a wire transfer to the new holland finance company to pay off the lien, and they have been authorized to release the proof of payoff as well as release of lien to me. I gave the seller cashier's checks for the remainder due him. My bank did ucc checks on all the equipment. I also made out detailed bills of sale for each piece of equipment and we both signed them. I have picked up the cutter, but will have to wait on picking up the rest of the equipment until after Christmas. Thanks so much for your help, and I've learned a lot in the process, with much more to learn in the future. Have a Blessed Christmas!

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Sounds as if you & your bank have your "financial bases covered". Merry Christmas to you & everyone.
Jim

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Good morning. Another question on the tractor...where does one go to get a good copy of an owners manual? Online? Or through John Deere? Are there any free ones for download? Thanks! -Travis

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Thanks for that link! I got it downloaded. Overall, I am very happy with the tractor so far. It runs very smooth. There are a number of small issues that I want to get fixed this winter.

1. The muffler is rusted out, so I want to see about replacing that. Any good aftermarket sources for exhaust parts? I would like a crome stack on it as well.😎

2. The tach is not working. I will probably have a mechanic look at that.

3. The light situation is pretty poor. Only two lights are working now. I may go ahead and change them all out to led. Any good sources for lights?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
That is a pricey item. Any other ideas? If I fab up a straight pipe, I imagine it will be brutally loud?

I may just have to bite the bullet and just buy the original.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
My guess is straight exhaust pipe on a JD 6 cylinder naturally aspirated diesel engine would be louder & more annoying sounding than a straight exhaust on a 6 cylinder Cummins pickup engine.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts