Hay & Forage Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Josh
I agree cab is better on operators hearing when operating a disc mower but I've yet see the cab glass stop many blade thrown projectiles. Operating a small sq baler on an open station tractor gives the operator a better opportunity to listen to how baler is operating. Operating a tractor equipped with canopy is better than operating a cab tractor that AC isn't operating at peak performance in Texas Summer heat

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Travis
When checking out a used tractor I suggest as I stated to get engine to operating temp & check operation of hyd's, pto & trans shifting. It would also be best to have a test kit to check condition of antifreeze.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I've been visiting with the 2950 owner and we may be getting a deal worked out. I can always start with that tractor and if I decide to upgrade to a cab later on, I can turn this tractor into a backup baler/rake tractor. I run a 426F Cat backhoe almost daily, and we have opted for open ROPS because of dealing with AC's and being able to hear what's going on around us better. I realize the dust issue would be different with a backhoe vs. a baler, but we may give this a try to get started. Thanks for all the responses, and any more input on this, as well as square baling in general, is welcome!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm interested in your comment on modifying an E series JD. What are you referring to?
Just basic things putting lower profile tires. Flipping the rear wheels out ways you gain about a 8in on each tire making it wider. Fluid filling the tires, Adding a second door, cab mirrors. I do recommend getting a nicer transmission which I did from the dealer. Also try to get 3 remotes in the rear youll never regret it. Bigger hydraulic tanks on the E’s would be nicer. I haven’t put a buddy seat but that sure would be nice.

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
3,036 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. I've been visiting with the 2950 owner and we may be getting a deal worked out. I can always start with that tractor and if I decide to upgrade to a cab later on, I can turn this tractor into a backup baler/rake tractor. I run a 426F Cat backhoe almost daily, and we have opted for open ROPS because of dealing with AC's and being able to hear what's going on around us better. I realize the dust issue would be different with a backhoe vs. a baler, but we may give this a try to get started. Thanks for all the responses, and any more input on this, as well as square baling in general, is welcome!
Sorry, I have nothing against a 2950, but an open station in south Texas, that wouldn’t happen for me.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
4040 being naturally aspirated will burn more fuel than a 4430 that came from factory with a turbocharger. 4040 burns more fuel per hr than IHC 1586

My JD 4255 uses 3.2 gph & my Kubota M7040 uses 2.5 gph pulling my JD 467 rd baler making 4X5.5 bales. My JD 4255 is more economical on fuel than JD 30 or 40 tractors of similar size due to different style cylinder head
That was my thought as well. Had opportunity to find out on a custom job. Auto shutoff on fuel tank. We mow in tandem so both tractors left with full tanks. Mowed same fields, pulled same hills and had same road travel. When topping off tanks 4040 clicked at 0.1 gallon more than 4430. I was surprisd by that. That’s comparing my 2 wore out tractors in my conditions.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Sorry, I have nothing against a 2950, but an open station in south Texas, that wouldn’t happen for me.
I'd chose a different model used JD tractor if equipped with a cab. Hyd failure repairs are much easier to perform on this type JD tractor when it's an open station tractor verses equipped with same model with a cab. Not to mention the wiring schematic on JD 40 through 55 utility tractors with a cab resembles a ""spider web containing a poor connection printed circuit board"". I sold a new JD 2350/cab that to my last known knowledge the AC never operated very well in the Texas heat

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Travis,
Whatever you purchase I hope it serves you well and enjoy your time with those boys!
Thank you for the well wishes. I went ahead and told the 2950 owner I'd take it, and it will be delivered today. After telling him I'd take it, I started reading online of some of the problems of that tractor. Oh well. I guess I'll take my chances that this is a good one and not a lemon. He did send me a couple videos of him operating the loader and pto, shifting through the gears, and skidding to a stop to test brakes. It does seem like I'm getting it at a price that I can run it a while and if this project doesn't pan out, I won't have lost a bunch of money. Time will tell. As far as having an open cab, I guess we'll see how bad the dust issue is in the summer time. I'm not one bit worried about the heat, as I've lived my whole life in it and if you have a little shade from the canopy and any breeze at all, it actually can be quite comfortable. Also, I really do want my boys to learn how to make do without the best and nicest things in life, so maybe working on an old cabless tractor will help teach that!

Thanks again for all the responses. I'll keep you updated on this tractor. This sure seems like a great group of down to earth, helpful folks. I have many more questions regarding square baling, but I may give y'all a little break for a while!

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Congratulations on your tractor purchase. Now you have enough left in your $$$$$ kitty you could buy a new disk cutter or cutter/conditioner!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Congratulations on tractor. For square baling dust isn’t bad. Your always moving. If you get into round baling the fun of no cab quickly ends. I wish I had sun shade on all open stations. Would make long days in sun little more enjoyable even up here in the north.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
That tractor will serve you well, it's hard to go wrong with a JD (the green paint is just really expensive; I wish they'd paint their repair parts in a difference color!).

As was mentioned, there isn't really anything dusty to square baling. All of my stuff is done in an open station tractor with a canopy. Keeps sun off, can get some breeze, easy to SEE and HEAR everything, and easy to hop off real quick. If I was running a discbine, I'd probably want to fabricate some kind of wire cage I can put up on the back of the rops when I'm mowing. I'm sure a lot of people mow in open station tractors with discbines, but I've heard too many stories (including from people here) of the mower throwing a rock. Even my dad had a brush hog throw a wire into his back that landed him on the surgery table.

But on the topic of mower, for 30 acres I'd do a sickle haybine. That's not a lot of ground to justify the cost of a discbine. I do 40 acres with a haybine, and I'd love to upgrade, but there's still a guy around me that's doing 100 acres with his haybine, so yeah. About the time I bring it up, my wife says 'well Mike is doing over twice your acres with the same mower!'

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Josh
I agree about choosing sickle cutter for smaller acres but Travis stated he had sold a business & needed to reinvest some $$$$. If I was walking in Travis's moccasins I get a new or newer disk cutter even for 30 acres because disk cutter blades are much easier to swap out than sickles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I actually have an opportunity to buy a baler, rake, and cutter from a small horse outfit that decided to start feeding alfalfa to their horses, and is selling their hay equipment. I sure would like some advice on that as well. Should I start a new thread, or put it on here, since y'all have started this journey with me?;)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I actually have an opportunity to buy a baler, rake, and cutter from a small horse outfit that decided to start feeding alfalfa to their horses, and is selling their hay equipment. I sure would like some advice on that as well. Should I start a new thread, or put it on here, since y'all have started this journey with me?;)
My vote is to keep it here, all the context and background info is already here. What is the equipment they're offering up and what condition?

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
3,036 Posts
I'd chose a different model used JD tractor if equipped with a cab. Hyd failure repairs are much easier to perform on this type JD tractor when it's an open station tractor verses equipped with same model with a cab. Not to mention the wiring schematic on JD 40 through 55 utility tractors with a cab resembles a ""spider web containing a poor connection printed circuit board"". I sold a new JD 2350/cab that to my last known knowledge the AC never operated very well in the Texas heat
Totally agree Jim-the only reasons I don’t still have my 2755 cab was the dang wiring and the AC. Loved that tractor otherwise.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
My vote is to keep it here, all the context and background info is already here. What is the equipment they're offering up and what condition?
The baler is a 2017 NH 5070. It has been used 4 seasons with approximately 1,000 bales per season. Downside is that it was not barn kept, so there is rust in a couple places. I'm not sure if they are critical areas though.

The cutter is a 2013 Kubota 2032 disc mower. Again, not barn kept, but looks decent.

I'm not sure on the rake. It isn't much of a rake and really he is just throwing it in on the deal. He says his bottom dollar is $16k for all three. Says he paid $24.5k for the baler four years ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
The baler is a 2017 NH 5070. It has been used 4 seasons with approximately 1,000 bales per season. Downside is that it was not barn kept, so there is rust in a couple places. I'm not sure if they are critical areas though.

The cutter is a 2013 Kubota 2032 disc mower. Again, not barn kept, but looks decent.

I'm not sure on the rake. It isn't much of a rake and really he is just throwing it in on the deal. He says his bottom dollar is $16k for all three. Says he paid $24.5k for the baler four years ago.
If it’s been under snow and crazy rain I’d consider going through all the bearings and what not but seems to be pretty good. One thing to mention if you grow legumes you want a conditioner on the mower. If you’re growing grass should be fine, but still 16k for some new equipment and today’s prices is a good deal. I believe that guy that he paid 24k alone for that baler.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
You’ll also need 4 or 5 good wagons and large shed to store the hay.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Those are both good pieces of equipment, I don't think you will go wrong at that price. You will never wear them out. I doubt 4 years in the weather will have done much damage to the baler. Just clean up and spot paint the surface rusted areas.

Tell us about the rake when you find out what it is. Whatever it is, it will get your started.

Roger

21 - 40 of 64 Posts