Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ranchers and farmers,

Well, I jacked up my old disc on a hidden tree stump, where it's time to look for a new one. I'm looking for a heavy duty disc where I can go on pasture and turn my black clay gumbo into mini clay gumbo pieces and then finish it off with my harrow.

I'm looking for recommendations on a 14 or 16 foot disc that will do the job of breaking up and finishing as well and then top it off with my chain harrow... Kuhn? Hay King? Others?

Any guidance will be appreciated!!!

Be safe and best to you all!!

Mark

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I like my IH 470... well built disk in that size range. Course, it's probably 30 years old at least, but it's in good shape and I got it at a good price.

If you're talking "NEW" (as in brand spanking new), I dunno... I personally would rather have my 470 over any of the stuff I've seen from "Hay King", etc...

Athens, Rhino, and Sunflower would be my first choices for "NEW new", if I were in the market...

Later! OL J R :)

·
Hay Master
2,372 Posts

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Grateful11

May I ask why you would want to plow very wet clay soil? Where I live plowing very wet soil makes it turn into brick like clods and when it dries that's nearly impossible to do anything with. Plus plowing wet soil with a tandem disk causes a hard pan.

My neighbor's renter has large Landoll tandems and they seem to plow the soil very well. Renter did own large JD tandems but couldn't keep frames together or disk shaft brgs to hold up

Thanks,Jim

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Grateful11
May I ask why you would want to plow very wet clay soil? Where I live plowing very wet soil makes it turn into brick like clods and when it dries that's nearly impossible to do anything with. Plus plowing wet soil with a tandem disk causes a hard pan.
My neighbor's renter has large Landoll tandems and they seem to plow the soil very well. Renter did own large JD tandems but couldn't keep frames together or disk shaft brgs to hold up
Thanks,Jim
Good morning Jim,

I'm not discing a wet field. What I have is cattle pasture land only, where some areas have never been worked so they are very vey bumpy. I had huisache and other trash trees I've taken out. Learned I need to rent a stump grinder first to take out any hidden and exposed stumps. Therefore, I'm using whatever kind of disc needed to break through the Bermuda pasture field in black clay gumbo soil, turn it and turn it again until the dry clods are small and smaller, then follow up with my chain harrow to smooth the land.

I'm not even sure I should do this yearly or even other year, and maybe alternate with my aerator. My current disc worked well until I hit a hidden stump that took it out.

So any suggestions on type of disc or brand is highly appreciated, along with the ones to ignore.

Thanks for any help!

Be safe out there!

Mark

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Amco Manufacturing out of Yazoo City, Mississippi. There's been an Amco F17 here for as long as I can remember. Late FIL ordered it with the heavy-duty spring bearing holders. The CaseIH 14' 475 disc comes in behind the Amco.

http://www.amcomfg.com/

F17
http://www.amcomfg.com/products/disc-harrows/non-folding/

http://www.amcomfg.com/protect-o-shieldbearing-risers/

This F17 is about 10'6" and about all the CaseIH 5140 wants behind it in the clay soil around here.

Thanks for the great videos!

·
Hay Master
2,372 Posts
Grateful11

Thanks,Jim
Because that was as dried out as that field was going to get and it was almost too late to plant the fall Oats. The Oats did come up up not a very good stand. If you come back in the next day with the CaseIH 475 disc it does a nice job of breaking up the clods. They should have rented or leased a no-till drill and this past Fall. This was the worst field, many of them they just let them go. Trying to get a Spring variety of Oats for hay but if the rain doesn't stop soon that may be out the window. Suppose to get 3" this week. My wife has me researching No-Till Drills at the moment but man they're pricey, most used ones appear to be nearly worn out or close to the price of a new one if it's lightly used.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Because that was as dried out as that field was going to get and it was almost too late to plant the fall Oats. The Oats did come up up not a very good stand.
The only good way I've found to get rid of the clods made by plowing wet soil is freezing weather. Every time I try to out guess mother nature I usually lose. I agree no-till drills are very high $$$$$

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What broke on your old disk? I might be interested in it, not too far for me to pick up.
A stump, and after pricing disc we are going to just repair the beast. Next time I'll listen to my relative about marking the stumps or renting a stump grinder for a day. A lot less costly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.