Hay & Forage Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Hay Master
1,150 Posts
We are tying to decide between a pop up loader or an old pull type stack wagon.
I used a pop-up loader for years. Put two guys on the trailer and you can load a trailer fairly quickly. When working by myself, I put up some railings and allowed the loader to pile the hay on the trailer and then go unload. I could get about 50-60 bales on the trailer before they started falling off. A pop-up loader is a good, cheap alternative (I gave $200 for mine), but still requires a lot of manual labor.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Not sure where you are located Coniberty Acers but I have 3 pull type stack wagons I will make you a sweet deal on. They are 1010 models hold around 50 bales 2 wide. I only used 1 had the other 2 for parts it picked up great and will stack or single bale unload. I'm in south east Alabama and pulled them from north east Alabama with no problems.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not sure where you are located Coniberty Acers but I have 3 pull type stack wagons I will make you a sweet deal on. They are 1010 models hold around 50 bales 2 wide. I only used 1 had the other 2 for parts it picked up great and will stack or single bale unload. I'm in south east Alabama and pulled them from north east Alabama with no problems.
we are in northern Missouri that’s a little ways to haul them. I have a line on one but needing to do some tractor maintenance first

·
272 Posts
Good afternoon. I realize this subject has maybe been beat to death...so please forgive me for bringing it up again! I need some advice on what kind of low cost setup I should pursue to get small squares in the barn. I have a small time square bale operation, currently 12 acres of Jiggs, but looking to expand to 25-30 acres in the next year or two. Usually we are getting 700-800 bales per cutting on the 12 acres currently in production. What options do I have for under $20k? Do grapples that mount on a tractor loader work? Seems like that would be my lowest cost option? Does sliding bales on the ground pick up dirt and debris? I'm open to used Steffen type accumulators, as well as Stack Wagons,etc. Thanks in advance. -Travis
New Holland balewagon hands down

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
New Holland stack wagon, without hesitation.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I used a pop-up loader for years. Put two guys on the trailer and you can load a trailer fairly quickly. When working by myself, I put up some railings and allowed the loader to pile the hay on the trailer and then go unload. I could get about 50-60 bales on the trailer before they started falling off. A pop-up loader is a good, cheap alternative (I gave $200 for mine), but still requires a lot of manual labor.
Never seen one of these in action until I researched a few videos. If you still need somebody on the wagon, why not just stack bales on a wagon hooked to the baler? When you’re done baling the field you’re done; you don’t need to go back through it again and collect every bale. Your situation makes sense where you were the only one doing it and could get about 50 bales to a wagon. But I don’t see the efficiency if you’re already planning on having somebody on the wagon.

They’re kind of cool though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The pop up loaders work well if you have trailers and if you want to wear a guy out REAL fast. If you aren’t set up with a thrower or wagons, it doesn’t work well to load wagons behind the baler. Around here, wagons are real rare and are one more thing to store inside in the 8 months per year that it rains.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts