Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our NH 38 Chopper needs 2 new tires. Currently they are 25x7.50-15. These tires are impossible to find in stock. Anyone know a different size i can use or a substitute? I can go smaller but not bigger on height.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,713 Posts
Throw some little automotive tires on it.
I would advise against that. Automotive style highway radials are very vulnerable to sidewall punctures from stubble. They have a thin sidewall and a significant sidewall bulge that basically has a “stab me” sign on it. Go with a flotation style tire. If you go the the NTS tire site you can browse the 15” rim tire sizes they show. There are a great many choices in that size so there should be something out there that would work.

·
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would advise against that. Automotive style highway radials are very vulnerable to sidewall punctures from stubble. They have a thin sidewall and a significant sidewall bulge that basically has a “stab me” sign on it. Go with a flotation style tire. If you go the the NTS tire site you can browse the 15” rim tire sizes they show. There are a great many choices in that size so there should be something out there that would work.
Thanks looked them up too but they only have bigger tires diameter wise which wont work.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,713 Posts
This would get you down to 26” presumably. How wide are your rims? You might be better off finding a whole different rim. I had to on my wheel rake to get away from the troublesome 15” trailer tires. Went to a wider 14” rim and flotation tire.
Font Rectangle Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have a 36 chopper with some 215/60/15 (I think that's the size) car tires on it. That thing covers a lot of ground in the spring chopping cow feed. Haven't had any tire trouble in 5 or 6 years. Used tires were free so not out much if they fail.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Guess it depends how it gets used. Around here that machine wouldn’t see a stubble other than grass.

I do try to at least use LT tires when possible when using something other than implement tires.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,713 Posts
Guess it depends how it gets used. Around here that machine wouldn’t see a stubble other than grass.

I do try to at least use LT tires when possible when using something other than implement tires.
I saw “chopper” and I thought forage harvester/corn stalks right away. I see an NH 38 is a flail chopper, so probably not going to be used in corn stalks. Highway tires will fine in hay stubble. They don’t play nice with corn and soybean stubble.

Reactions: 8350HiTech

·
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got a few used car tires to get me through for awhile. Tried the NH dealer they said they dont do tires and good luck finding some LOL. Gonna keep looking

·
2,656 Posts
Try a Firestone dealer. That is where we get ours, though I do not think they are Firestone tires They may be American Farmer. If I get a chance I will check what brand 25x7.50-15 we have in stock. They are available, you just need to find someone who is not too lazy to look.

·
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Try a Firestone dealer. That is where we get ours, though I do not think they are Firestone tires They may be American Farmer. If I get a chance I will check what brand 25x7.50-15 we have in stock. They are available, you just need to find someone who is not too lazy to look.

Yeah thats the fun part. I have called a few places around me and no one has them or can get them. LOL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts