Hay & Forage Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
I finally got the hay cut, forecast calls for 2 tenths of an inch around 2 today, but the next few days are supposed to be hot and dry. I have some pretty thick windrows in areas, so looks like I may need a tedder afterall. I say at least 2/3rds can get dried by raking, but at least 1/3rd is dense, the windrow is nearly up to my knees and over 2' wide. I don't even know if the side rake can spread it out enough with the tines up in the air.

·
Registered
JD 7320, NH7230, Krone 5.52T, Krone 42T, JD 348, MXU 110, Farmall 656, Farmall H, Esch 5607
69 Posts
Mid-Atlantic weather here is really starting to get annoying. At least the really severe stuff has avoided my area but still a no go for cutting. Maybe Friday?

·
Registered
JD 7320, NH7230, Krone 5.52T, Krone 42T, JD 348, MXU 110, Farmall 656, Farmall H, Esch 5607
69 Posts
Mid-Atlantic weather here is really starting to get annoying. At least the really severe stuff has avoided my area but still a no go for cutting. Maybe Friday?

·
Registered
598 Posts
4 inches of rain last night, was hoping to get going on some dry hay. Have a dry forecast till Tuesday, but I think fields are going to need at least 2 days drying before any hay cutting.

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
My last batch of first is going down at 9 am tomorrow morning and I would be really surprised if I am not baling by 3 or 4 on Saturday. Up to 25 mph gusts tomorrow and 90degrees , 10 mph or more on Saturday. Upland OG is burned up pretty good. I’ll make the best I can bale several bales and call my buddy to come roll it for his cows if it is too far gone

·
Registered
247 Posts
The hay was almost there. Just about ready to rake over and finish drying what was on the bottom, then got 1/2" last night. Top is dry, but the bottom soaked. Now need to wait a bit for the ground to dry up so I can roll it over and finish drying. I was hoping to get it baled tomorrow, now looks like either Saturday or Sunday at the latest.

·
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
The hay was almost there. Just about ready to rake over and finish drying what was on the bottom, then got 1/2" last night. Top is dry, but the bottom soaked. Now need to wait a bit for the ground to dry up so I can roll it over and finish drying. I was hoping to get it baled tomorrow, now looks like either Saturday or Sunday at the latest.
hope you have a good tedder or a customer for mulch. That much water after the hay is fully cured is awful but if you have a tedder and know how to use it, you can still salvage reasonably decent looking hay but you have to really work at it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yep, just picked one up on Tuesday. After I roll the hay up into windrows I will have a better idea how much of it got wet. Actually going to go out in a few minutes and give it a try. If its still pretty wet underneath, I guess I can take another pass with the tedder. Hopefully not since I tedded it Tuesday evening and it is spread out pretty good, but there are still a few heavy spots.

·
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·

·
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Clear, 90, wind today, clear sunny 75 and breezy tomorrow. Nirvana ❤☀☀☀☀

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Didn’t you get heavy rain squalls late yesterday?
Nothing yesterday and severe storms an hour before pictures were taken. Those yielded a heavy dew. While mowing had tornado warnings going off for south of me.

Where ever these readings are taken I have received half of this.
Rectangle Slope Line Parallel Font

·
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Nothing yesterday and severe storms an hour before pictures were taken. Those yielded a heavy dew. While mowing had tornado warnings going off for south of me.

Where ever these readings are taken I have received half of this.
View attachment 91956
well you should have 3 or more days of stellar haymaking weather. Guess we are both under this massive Canadian high, we are having santa annas today, really weird for us but I will take it. Is that orchard grass? if so, wish mine still looked that nice. All the italian rye grass lodged and died but will make bale filler and horses eat it because I have that problem with any mid june first cut here. Orchard grass was a real mixed bag, some green with still green heads, others reseeding as I was cutting but still green understory. Left the mower down in multiple places that were already cut to cut some of the lodged residual and even the really fired off places produce fairly nice looking chopped forage where the cut stuff was run through the mower and flails a second time. Good luck, forecast here is 1% each day for the next 4 days

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
well you should have 3 or more days of stellar haymaking weather. Guess we are both under this massive Canadian high, we are having santa annas today, really weird for us but I will take it. Is that orchard grass? if so, wish mine still looked that nice. All the italian rye grass lodged and died but will make bale filler and horses eat it because I have that problem with any mid june first cut here. Orchard grass was a real mixed bag, some green with still green heads, others reseeding as I was cutting but still green understory. Left the mower down in multiple places that were already cut to cut some of the lodged residual and even the really fired off places produce fairly nice looking chopped forage where the cut stuff was run through the mower and flails a second time. Good luck, forecast here is 1% each day for the next 4 days
Rain free until Monday night. Lake Erie influence hinders us some. Cloudy tomorrow morning and currently mostly cloudy on Monday. Hoping that back off. Glad not trying to rake hay today or tomorrow. 20 mph winds with close to 30 mph gusts. Yes that is orchard grass in the pictures

·
Registered
247 Posts
Mine finally dried out and ready to bale, but it lost its green really fast. It had turned brown by Monday evening. Eh well, its the first batch, and I still have weeding and fertilizing to get done, as well as get the unfavorable grasses out and replaced with the good stuff. Going to do it in sections, but not until next year. I have some filling left to do, got some pretty deep holes that bounce me out of my seat and I can't see them until I hit them.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Rain free until Monday night. Lake Erie influence hinders us some. Cloudy tomorrow morning and currently mostly cloudy on Monday. Hoping that back off. Glad not trying to rake hay today or tomorrow. 20 mph winds with close to 30 mph gusts. Yes that is orchard grass in the pictures
I lied. Day 2 and a light mist. .01 overnight.

Attachments

·
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I lied. Day 2 and a light mist. .01 overnight.
Bummer, guess that is part of the lake effect. Hope your fortunes improve this morning.

Too dry here to even make much dew. It was 35% at 4 yesterday with 92 degrees and 10-15 mph wind. Breeze blew all night. Hay was slightly damp this am and the temps were falling at 6 am so I tedded again to fluff since we aren't getting any heat today, just wind. Had to put on a sweat shirt to ted. 63 and 20 mph wind. No point in trying to rake until there is a baler chasing the rake. Should be ready to go by noon. Hay in a day (24 hrs)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well, My very first cutting is in the barn. I got 62 bales out of the crap that came up, more than I expected, but gives me an idea of what I can expect once all the field is weed free and growing the right grasses. I guesstimate it should be 4 times what I actually got, so 240 bales per cutting is what I plan to achieve. Had baler issues that took up part of the day, but once I got them figured out the rest went well. I need to make another rake pass and clean up what is left, I can probably squeeze out 2 more bales with what is on the ground.

While I was out there cussing out the chain for the pickup reel, my neighbor stopped over. I may have another 4 acres to bale.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Got the year started. 11 acres over 1500 bales. Got a long way to go yet.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 72 Posts