Hay & Forage Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
720 bricks in the barn and on wagons for delivery. Beautiful stuff, but it’s going to take until the end of this coming January to freeze out the compaction from running on wet ground. Yield was lower than last year but I only put 50# N on instead of the usual 65 and it was a really cool spring. Great for flowers, hay not so much.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here in central Indiana it’s been raining every 3-4 days since last fall it seems. I cut 1/2 acre on Sunday after a few inches of rain last week through Friday. Ran the tedder over it yesterday to try and dry it out. Rain is forecast again for Wednesday afternoon through Thursday. This stuff is getting baled tonight regardless how wet it is. I did some plunger work on the baler and want to try a small amount first before cutting down acres of hay. My fields look great but just getting overdone now and losing quality.

·
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just knew that the weatherman or woman, could not deliver as promised-4 straight days without rain and progressively increasing temps with 3 days at 90 or more. Sunday was absolutely beautiful weather, yesterday was 88 and pretty nice, today was 92 and awful and the obligatory non-forecasted shower came at 4 today and tomorrow was not supposed to rain as well. Glad my hay was in the shed, others around were not so lucky. Weathermen are the only folks on Pay for Non-Performance compensation plans.

Reactions: Mellow

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yep, we barely and I mean barely dodged the rain on this end of the valley yesterday and were able to get up what was ready for yesterday. Not so lucky today. Got maybe 60% of the acres up before it started to dump. And neither of the past 2 days were supposed to be anything but slim chances. Tomorrow is the much bigger chance. Hate to hope we miss it as dry as we’ve been all year…but also don’t want hay to get wet again. At least we were just raking ahead of the baler today so most was still out flat. Just a reminder that it’s very difficult to predict anything beyond a couple days out this time of year. I shouldn’t complain I guess as it’s been quite a long time since we’ve gotten anything wet.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Up here we mowed 150 acres for dairy guys to fill silos this past weekend and it all got put in pretty well. The orchard grass is maturing way to quickly with the heat! (It’s supposed to be late maturity variety). We mowed 38 acres today for us to do wrapped balage and I can’t believe how much the alfalfa was laid down!

·
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Up here we mowed 150 acres for dairy guys to fill silos this past weekend and it all got put in pretty well. The orchard grass is maturing way to quickly with the heat! (It’s supposed to be late maturity variety). We mowed 38 acres today for us to do wrapped balage and I can’t believe how much the alfalfa was laid down!
I have tried a number of late maturity OG varieties here in va. Once the 90 degree days and 70 degree nights hit it quickly fires off regardless of variety

Reactions: Onthayman

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I'm 600 bricks in so far with 400 delivered, and will be baling up another 600 on Saturday. That will complete 3 of 7 fields completed. Had beautiful drying and baling days so far. I've never been able to get two fields knocked out on Memorial Day weekend before.

Unfortunately my baler broke two shear bolts not even one lap into the first field and was down for the count, so I had to bring in a neighbor's reserve.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Well we hit what we still had down with the tedder a couple times and got it baled early this afternoon. Some of it was a little tough but good enough. I figured since we went ahead and rolled it up it wouldn’t rain today (on the big % chance day) but it’s pouring now. So glad it’s up.

·
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well we hit what we still had down with the tedder a couple times and got it baled early this afternoon. Some of it was a little tough but good enough. I figured since we went ahead and rolled it up it wouldn’t rain today (on the big % chance day) but it’s pouring now. So glad it’s up.
Cut tomorrow and you’re good

·
Registered
598 Posts
Got the baler out and did 30 big squares of custom work, had to find the driest stuff in the fields top of hill was good lower side was too wet. Chance of rain tomorrow, hope it misses us and we can get the rest of this hay dry. Dry with low humidity tonight but that means it will get cool tonight. Hope it makes it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
my wife brought me a wagon and i hooked to it
chopped part way around and cell phone buzzed
she said on the way down there was a wagon wheel in the road ,better check my wagon
sure enough rear tandem was missing

better check your lug bolts and nuts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Baled 19 more big squares today had a little sprinkle then it cleared and the farmer raked it over. Went to bale and had a few drops on the hood of the tractor moisture showed 15 to 30 so poured on the preservative. He had a small run in shed for horses he was able to stack the bale's in 2 high. Guess we will see how this turns out. A bunch of rain in the forecast, if it rains maybe we did the right thing.

·
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
771 bricks in the shed yesterday from 7 acs. Beautiful haying day. Hay made in 28 hours.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Wish the weather we’ve had the last several days - mid to upper 70s, sunny, low humidity and breezy would last all summer. Finished first cutting today. Yield was almost identical to last year at about 75% of what an “average” year should be, but better than I was expecting as dry as we were all winter and spring.

·
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Wish the weather we’ve had the last several days - mid to upper 70s, sunny, low humidity and breezy would last all summer. Finished first cutting today. Yield was almost identical to last year at about 75% of what an “average” year should be, but better than I was expecting as dry as we were all winter and spring.
Hope to do my last batch starting Sunday if the forecast holds. I would have finished yesterday but am waiting for customers to finish empt my wagons.

·
Registered
247 Posts
So far have not had more than a day without rain in the forecast. Rain Saturday, then Sunday was awesome, then rain Sunday night, and all day yesterday, no rain today, but rain tomorrow, none Thursday, rain Friday. 25% Sat thru Mon, 80% Tuesday. It could change by Thursday, so hoping I can get it cut on Friday and baled on Sunday. Hoping I can get through it without tedding, will see.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well Yesterday the forecast looked good for cutting tonight, and baling by Monday, but, now there is rain in the forecast everyday from now until Tuesday and it rained part of today too. Tuesday, forecast calls for 97* it is 74 right now. I may not be able to cut until Wednesday by the way things look.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Got a decent start 7 days ago since then rain every other day looks like we have a window this week forecast changes every couple of hours getting frustrating but it is still early for our grass

21 - 40 of 72 Posts