Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a 4 alarm toad strangler with heavy gusts today. tornado watch is posted. However, rain supposed to be over by 6 pm, clear and sunny tomorrow with 10+ mph wind, followed by 4 sunny days with temps in high 80s and 90s. Time to get started on this year’s adventure

·
Registered
598 Posts
Same here. Today was our dry-down day and tomorrow more 1st cutting is going down. Tried some 2 weeks back or so but lost all of it. Got rained on 3 times and all the trips around tedding and raking, baling, loading, hauling, etc. lost us a good chunk of change. It's all garbage and will turn to mulch. Gambled and lost. I'm an old hand at this but still can't help but bitch even now! Good luck fellers.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Having a 4 alarm toad strangler with heavy gusts today. tornado watch is posted. However, rain supposed to be over by 6 pm, clear and sunny tomorrow with 10+ mph wind, followed by 4 sunny days with temps in high 80s and 90s. Time to get started on this year’s adventure
We had the same early and then it cleared to almost blue skies with good breezes. We lined up to cut hay, but about 4 pm, dark clouds rolled in and thunderstorms and it rained off and on until dark. Needless to say, we didn’t cut, but will Saturday. Weather is looking very favorable through Wednesday and right promising next weekend too.

I hope you are getting a good price for your hay. If you have Facebook or know of someone that does, look at the Virginia Hay, Straw & Hay Equipment page. Hay prices up your way are generally north of $10 per bale.

Good luck!
Bill

·
Registered
603 Posts
Season started here in Mass. This week with my friend baling 120 bales on a 1 acre field only to discover his knotters messing up( all wore out) so he is having a stroke right now cause his fields are ready, that'll learn him to go away for the winter and not give his equipment some loving!

·
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got another wave at 9 last night. Not as much as earlier but plenty more. Would really like to wait a day but they have already changed the Wednesday forecast to cloudy.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
We are undecided here. Pushing 1.5 inches of rain ending later today. Then a good 3 day window but it is early hay with lots of moisture and really need a 4 day min. this time of year. But they are saying summer heat............what to do. what to do.

·
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We are undecided here. Pushing 1.5 inches of rain ending later today. Then a good 3 day window but it is early hay with lots of moisture and really need a 4 day min. this time of year. But they are saying summer heat............what to do. what to do.
That is exactly my situation here. We may have gotten about 2 inches and it was over at midnight last night. I will make imprints in the ground with tires which I hate doing but don't think I will tear anything up if I am careful. Slower cutting to be sure. I debated with myself all night about windrowing or spreading but ultimately decided the top drying from spreading is superior due to surface area to windrowing. radiation will be seriously high for several days so hopefully, by baling time the ground will be better. We are on limestone Karst so the ground handles heavy rain very well as long as you are on sod.

I am cutting in about an hour so I get today, Sunday, Monday, and Tues sunny summer heat. Figure we are going to need it to get this stuff cured properly. I will still shoot it with haygard and will probably ted 3 times. I was 3/4 of the way done last year on this date for first cutting, have not started until today this year. Grass really thickened in the last 10 days. It will be interesting to see what we get in bales per ac. Memorial day acreage is usually in the 110 bales per ac category or more. A little less for stuff cut earlier. My fear is if I passed this up for drier ground conditions we could go into a 2 wk rainy spell and then I am toast. So blow the bilges, full speed ahead.

Reactions: IH 1586

·
Registered
150 Posts
We had 1 inch total between Tuesday-Thursday on already wet ground… Friday dry but cloudy with high of 65 degrees, no help… today was the start of a 4 day window so started mowing …field conditions were less than desirable but gotta go can’t make second cutting before first is off

·
Registered
150 Posts
Oh good they added 50-70% rain chances for Tuesday night, Wed and Thurs… we’ll be cutting it close…probably be relying on this magic in bag Siloking to do it’s thing

·
Registered
591 Posts
Dairies around here are cutting first crop for silage and they are complaining that stuff is not drying. Talked to neighbor and he wants to watch the weather and maybe cut for dry hay later this week. It doesn't dry standing,but I figure it doesn't pay to cut just to make crap.

·
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tedded at 11:15 and then again at 3:30. Should be dry enough to start baling tomorrow afternoon late with haygard and finish Tuesday. Ten day offers nothing for haymaking so we’re halfway through June. Argh

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
My entire 10 day forecast is warm and sunny or partly cloudy but no rain. I started mowing yesterday and mowed more today and will continue to mow more throughout the week. Today it was full sun, hot, and 15 mph winds.

Reactions: HayMike

·
Registered
4 Posts
A fair amount of hay has been cut in Mid Michigan, at least locally. Always a tough and variable window on first cutting here in the Great Lakes region. Good luck to all this season.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think another week and mine will be ready to cut. Going to take a year or two for it to fully come in. Looks like my seeding worked, I see some nice green rows coming up. Been too wet and spotty to cut anyway.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts