Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have the foggy muggies this morning. Feels like you could spackle with the air. Tomorrow starts an extended period of sub 10% chances of rain days, over a week and all the forecasts agree. Probably means we get a deluge the third day... Getting my tractor back today from the shop so the hammer will be down with the mower conditioner tomorrow to take advantage of the last likely window of sunny with high of 80. I really hate trying to make hay in Va in October. I've done it, but I have also had way more end up in the woods. The crab grass and unfortunately some barnyard grass went crazy in late august. Prowl next year for sure.

Reactions: Onthayman

·
186 Posts
Probably the only thing worse that making hay in VA in October may just be trying to make hay in PA in October. You guys in VA get about a 2-3 week head start on us here in PA and a tad longer day. But I agree with you Hayman1. Its hammer down on the discbine tomorrow starting at high Noon!

·
Registered
285 Posts
We got the same forecasts in south Alabama first time for a week with 20% chance or less in over a year. Don't misunderstand me, we have been dry as a whole this summer but it seems to rain somewhere every few days which keeps the chances up and the mowers parked.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Here in N Texas I am in the boat with Jim I will start laying it down this morning. All my wheat ground is ready to plant. With the lack of rain and the low inventories of hay several farmers and dairy farmers have all ready planted wheat. Right where I found army worms while I was plowing my wheat ground and the moths are every where. With the temps over 95 predicted for the next 10 days I have decided not to put any seed in the ground yet that and I lack the moisture to plant wheat at this time. I think we have a small window of rain 8 days from now which will make a window to cut and bale and hopefully get all the hay put up and enough time to plant about 1/3 of my wheat and then wait and see if I get enough rain to plant the rest and hope the army worms get lost looking for my place.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Same here. I’m out of town for work for a couple days but my wife mowed some today for when I get back to square bale. And then we have some more to round bale. Hope to get all that in the next week. Then all that’s left is some oats to wrap in October.

·
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Living the dream this morning. 63 degrees and sunny. Tedding hay with an aroma you can't pay enough money to get at the store!

Reactions: IH 1586

·
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2 mowers and tedder running here. 40 acres going down
Looks like you have a lot of orchard grass in your fall orchard grass! Must be nice. So much crabgrass here in Sept OG hay but the horses love it, just takes an extra day to cure

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Looks like you have a lot of orchard grass in your fall orchard grass! Must be nice. So much crabgrass here in Sept OG hay but the horses love it, just takes an extra day to cure
Lots of orchard grass. These next several fields got urea to make sure we can get our orders filled. It is nice to see yield when we mow instead of the all the drought stressed grass we had been doing. Another 7 acres went down last night.

·
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Waiting for hay with crabgrass in it to cure is worse than waiting for Godot. Hurry up and wait, and wait and wait. Tried a few PITA windrows yesterday after tedding twice and raking then flipping again after 2 hours. Used preservative. BH 2 in cab said up to 30%, probe much lower but it was tough on the baler so I know it was not ready. Made 15 or so beautiful bales just would not want to sell it and take a chance, so we wait. At least the forecast held and the weather is stellar. May get to 80 tomorrow but the down side is it takes until at least noon for the dew to burn off and then the curing can begin for the day.

·
Registered
555 Posts
It’s not drying any faster on this end of the valley. We started mowing Tuesday afternoon. Tedded twice and it’s iffy whether we’ll get any baled today or not. And it’s pretty clean without any fall grass or crabgrass. It was green and thick though. Just finished mowing at another place. It stays shaded really bad this time of year. Dew doesn’t come off in spots until 1-2:00. Probably end up wrapping it.

·
Hay Something
1,580 Posts
I"ve noticed as well that the fall grass just doesn't dry down well at all. I got a little lax on spray this year since I had things really clean last year, and it cost me some otherwise really nice hay. :mad: I thought with the increase in costs on other inputs, I might be able to get away with it this year. Not the case.

·
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I finished yesterday. Moisture was fine on my hand held but crazy high and variable on the bht-2, sometimes going 30. Now it wasn’t 30. I had this same problem in two of three of the last September hay years. In first and second cutting the in line is often lower than the hand held. I hit it hard with haygard and will watch it on the wagons under roof.

PA- didn’t use any broadleaf herb this year and it showed up in September. Prowl 2X and 24d on the second pass of prowl for me next year

·
Registered
171 Posts
I finished over the weekend.. last load of 5th cutting alfalfa...glad to be done, so glad looks like i got a little crooked on the last pack.. definitely had to pay attention to the moisture and not get in a hurry
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Sky Plant

1 - 17 of 17 Posts