Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the Sunbelt expo last week to investigate the acursion. It is truly an awesome machine with simple parts and adjustments. I have located one not to far away reasonably priced. My Bale Bandit 100 has served me well and I would really like to see it go to a good home. I am hoping the arcusin will speed up my straw baling by allowing me to run both balers instead of just one hooked to the bandit. It is a lot like my old bale wagons meaning mostly mechanical a blade trips a lever and the next step happens. It can tie 6,8,10,12,or 14 bale bundles that's pretty cool if you need it. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome going to think on it a few days. To many zeros in price not too.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I went to the Sunbelt expo last week to investigate the acursion. It is truly an awesome machine with simple parts and adjustments. I have located one not to far away reasonably priced. My Bale Bandit 100 has served me well and I would really like to see it go to a good home. I am hoping the arcusin will speed up my straw baling by allowing me to run both balers instead of just one hooked to the bandit. It is a lot like my old bale wagons meaning mostly mechanical a blade trips a lever and the next step happens. It can tie 6,8,10,12,or 14 bale bundles that's pretty cool if you need it. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome going to think on it a few days. To many zeros in price not too.
Acursin makes excellent products, I like the D14 for its mechanical simplicity also quite forgiving in bale length. Also the footprint is smaller easier to store.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
There's a youtube channel called Farming Insider, maybe check them out. They are a very large operation and run several arcusins on their operation (they'll do 10k bales/day). They seem to like them a lot.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
There's a youtube channel called Farming Insider, maybe check them out. They are a very large operation and run several arcusins on their operation (they'll do 10k bales/day). They seem to like them a lot.
I watch him as he uses whatever implement/tractor is best for and is not married to any one colour. Very informative.

·
Hay Something
1,494 Posts
I've looked at them at the local show and like some of the capabilities & features. One of the guys at the local dealership runs one in his operation and I was supposed to go watch it in action this summer, but that never happened. Too many narrow haying windows where everyone had hay down at the same time. For me the price tag is a show stopper so I'll keep running the Bandit for now. If you could run multiple balers, there would be an advantage there. But for a single baler operation, I question the efficiency of increasing the bundle count and adding an additional tractor/man/pass across the field to the operation. I'm also curious how sturdy the bundles are and how well they stack. I've watched those farmer insider vids as well and they sure make it look slick. Takes a lot of man power and iron to do what they do. If you make the move, you'll have to keep us informed for sure!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the insights. It is still funny to me how even as far away geographically speaking as we are we all watch the same YouTube videos and think the same things about them. The bandit works good for me in grass it's usually just me so not real high daily numbers. But I managed to bale and sell about 7000 bales of oat straw and could have easily sold twice as much if I had them. Since I already have 2 good balers and can get help a few days here and there I was thinking the arcusin should more than double straw production. I have never ran out of straw on the ground the cotton planters always catch me so I have to get out of there way. Mostly they just burn the rest. On a side note anyone thinking about buying a bandit I know where a good one might be for sale.

·
Registered
69 Posts
So I read this with a lot of interest. I too look at the acursin in videos and thought it looked like a very interesting buy. When I started to research I couldn’t really find anyone even close to my area of Canada that sold one. When I started looking at prices on line of new and used I couldn’t believe how pricey they were. We ended up going with a bale baron which is made in Ontario ( was just at the factory yesterday). I think support for parts is a big deal. What is the price difference in the two machines in the states.
I thought those would be great for a smaller operation.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Around 80k for a new acursion, over 120k for a new baron. Biggest differences I see are the acursion can keep up with 3 balers while being pulled by a small tractor, I would think the big red baron would require a lot more tractor to handle it. From what I got from the baron salesman they are similarly priced till up go to adding either pto hydraulic power or the Cadillac version that has it's on motor. I am not interested in changing from what I have if it still has to be a big tractor with at least 25gpm of hydraulics hooked to it.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
So I read this with a lot of interest. I too look at the acursin in videos and thought it looked like a very interesting buy. When I started to research I couldn’t really find anyone even close to my area of Canada that sold one. When I started looking at prices on line of new and used I couldn’t believe how pricey they were. We ended up going with a bale baron which is made in Ontario ( was just at the factory yesterday). I think support for parts is a big deal. What is the price difference in the two machines in the states.
I thought those would be great for a smaller operation.
The Baron is a very good machine, but IMO Arcusin is better for these reasons: Much simpler technology, Much more forgiving in bale size, Requires less HP, has a Smaller footprint and also I think it's faster. Of course if no service where one is that would certainly be a bummer! Now for the record I have neither. :eek::cry:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hear you on the service. I have a very good baron dealer about 3 hours away, arcusin is about the same just in a different direction. Another plus for the acursion is that dealer is Atlantic Southern and they have a store in Dothan only about an hour away. Since there stores in Tifton and North Carolina are stocking parts it shouldn't be to hard to get what's needed. I spent a couple of hours going over the d14 all wear parts I saw could easily fit in a 5 gallon bucket can't say the same about my bandit or the king Baron.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yup I hear ya guys on simpleness . I like the part that the bales maybe aren’t packed so tight in a bundle for breathing so to speak. Watching them try and load vans though it’s a bit more difficult.
The model we are using pulls directly behind the baler and needs 30gpm to run that kind of a system. As far as quickness goes if in a perfect world we had one day this year in a flat 40 acre field , it’s square we hit almost 500 bales an hour through the machine. It was a heavy, late mature crop and the stars lined up that day. The loader guy could keep up no problem loading his wagons. I would say most days we were 400 per hour but all late mature heavy crops.
As far as price , I guess with shipping and other things not being a factor we paid for a Baron (direct behind baler) what you guys have to pay for the acusin.(with dollar conversion in)
And you are right it’s heavy!! 10000 pounds. They don’t skimp on the steel. Overall to great machines!

·
5,749 Posts
A single arcusin doesn’t appear able to keep up to 3 high cap balers.They have sped up leaps and bounds since the A-14 but they aren’t close to the top spec barons yet.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The way it was explained to me was "dad starts bundling when he gets to the field and we stack, load, and haul till lunch then the balers start again he usually catches up about that time ". I took it as 1 can bundle for 3 inlines but not bale for bale. More like day for day if that makes any sense. Which by my figures is more hay in bundles on the ground in a day than I can dream of doing with my bandit hooked to a baler.

·
5,749 Posts
I understand what you mean now, in our climate hay can't stay out overnight on the ground like that. In raw numbers the top spec pickup barons are 1000 bales an hour which looks to be twice as fast as an Arcusin. Depending on the type pf operation and climate this may or may not matter.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well not sure if I will trade or not. I am happy with everything except their offer for my bandit. Might be wrong (have been before) but I figured it was worth close to 20k at least north of 15.

·
Hay Something
1,494 Posts
If you can swing it, you'll do better to sell the Bandit on your own. Or better yet, keep the Bandit another season, run them both and make sure the Acursin is a move in the right direction for your operation.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would rather sell it outright then I knew a farmer was going to get it not a salesman that didn't even have a clue how to make it work and it just end up scrapped.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts