Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my small place for about 10 years. The same guy has squared baled for the entire time. I paid him per bale. I would use my accumulator grapple to get it in the barn. I took care of my fields and sold to the horse market. We got 2 cuts this year for a total of 1500 squares. He told me he was going to retire and this would be his last year. He offered to sell me his rake he used on my place and the JD 346 baler for a very good price. I did take him up on his offer. Before he told me the good news I was considering switching to rounds anyway. So after much thought I decided I did not want to square bale by myself.

It is getting to long so I'll get to the point

I currently have a Kubota M7040 Cab. back tire filled with some water mixture
Vermeer disc cutter M6040
V rake I got from guy that retired.
Sold JD 346 square baler at a very good profit.

I will also sell the Maxilator Accumagrapple when I sell the last 300 squares I have in the barn

I purchased a JD 467 round baler with mega wide pick up and net wrap. The JD dealer told me the windrows need to be 1/2 the size of the bale chamber. I guess they want to to weave to make the bale even. The guy that baled my hay told me to make the windrows as wide as possible and widen the width on the back wheels of my tractor as much as possible. That way you would not drive over the windrows

The Kubota back wheels are currently set at 38 inches wide on the inside. I think I can get them to about 50 inches wide. The Kubota Dealer told they would me charge me 4 hours to move the back tire around. If I bought a big pot of chili they would do it for half price. 馃榾

I have other people tell me that before I spend the money to try it for a year and see how it works.

Just need some input before I make unnecessary changes.

Thanks

Registered
I own JD 467 rd baler & I make my windrows 5' wide which is width of Mega-wide pickup. I also virtually just drive straight down the windrow. A 5ft wide, level, even windrow coupled with a Mega-wide PU makes rd baling much easier with a model 467 rd baler.

I think the dealer that told you to make 1/2 width(2 ft wide) of of the bale chamber windrows needs to get out of his office & operate a rd baler in the field baling some rd bales.

When my JD 4255 AC compressor failed a couple of yrs ago I used my Kubota M7040 to pull my 467 making 5.5 diameter bales

Hay Master (Supposedly)
I鈥檓 going to agree with the previous responses. Make your windrows within a few inches of the same width as the bale chamber. Set the tractor wheels so they are wide enough to straddle that windrow plus some wiggle room.

Yes a person can try to make half chamber width windrows, but making a 2鈥 windrow is all but impossible in heavier crop, and if you are to be making very many bales, the weaving will soon have you going mad. If you do have to weave, don鈥檛 鈥渨iggle鈥 like I saw one operator do this fall, you need to jump completely from one side of the windrow to the other.

Reactions: 8350HiTech

Registered
Guess widening the tires would depend on your soils.

Here the ground is always damp so if you drive on the hay before baling then you will be baling damp hay.

If you live someplace the soil is bone dry when your baling then running over some hay probably won't cause an issue.

Registered
Make your windrows as no less than the width of the bale width and no wider than the rear wheel spacing. Compared to a small square baler, your ground speed can be faster because the round baler capacity is much greater than the small square baler.

Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks going to widen the back wheels as wide as it will go. I will check with the dealer on the front made wider. I was told if you widen the front much it would put stress on the front axels.

As always great advise.

Thanks

Hay Master (Supposedly)
Yes, the operators manual should give you the track width settings. If your front axle is MFD, yes, there is concern about extra stress on the axle components. I would not get worried about it though, unless you have ballast up front or use a front end loader. I have an MFD baler tractor with the front wheels set as wide as possible (88鈥 centers on this particular model). It won鈥檛 be an issue but I will not be putting a loader on that tractor or a full pack of weights up front!

Reactions: 8350HiTech

Registered
On my 467 megawide with netwrap, I try to make 4.5 feet wide with the v-rake I have. Weaving causes bales to not be uniform. Sometimes my customers rake their hay with bar rakes and I have to weave especially on 3rd/4th cutting. Dealer must be a desk guy.

Registered
I have owned my small place for about 10 years. The same guy has squared baled for the entire time. I paid him per bale. I would use my accumulator grapple to get it in the barn. I took care of my fields and sold to the horse market. We got 2 cuts this year for a total of 1500 squares. He told me he was going to retire and this would be his last year. He offered to sell me his rake he used on my place and the JD 346 baler for a very good price. I did take him up on his offer. Before he told me the good news I was considering switching to rounds anyway. So after much thought I decided I did not want to square bale by myself.

It is getting to long so I'll get to the point

I currently have a Kubota M7040 Cab. back tire filled with some water mixture
Vermeer disc cutter M6040
V rake I got from guy that retired.
Sold JD 346 square baler at a very good profit.

I will also sell the Maxilator Accumagrapple when I sell the last 300 squares I have in the barn

I purchased a JD 467 round baler with mega wide pick up and net wrap. The JD dealer told me the windrows need to be 1/2 the size of the bale chamber. I guess they want to to weave to make the bale even. The guy that baled my hay told me to make the windrows as wide as possible and widen the width on the back wheels of my tractor as much as possible. That way you would not drive over the windrows

The Kubota back wheels are currently set at 38 inches wide on the inside. I think I can get them to about 50 inches wide. The Kubota Dealer told they would me charge me 4 hours to move the back tire around. If I bought a big pot of chili they would do it for half price. 馃榾

I have other people tell me that before I spend the money to try it for a year and see how it works.

Just need some input before I make unnecessary changes.

Thanks
Agree with the wide windrow comments. Not always easy to accomplish with my single rotor rake.
Another plus for the wide windrows that may have been mentioned is less height to squeeze under a lower profile tractor.
Changing the wheel width was not that hard on my Massey using the manual, but you may need to have the entire rear end on blocks to move rims and tires from side to side.

Registered
Just to add to all the good advice you have already received, your V-rake will operate better and last longer making the wider windrows.
When you say 38" I assume you mean inside to inside on the rear tires? This is hard for me to imagine since that sounds very narrow. Flip your centers and widen the wheels out.
Set your rake to the width of the pickup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts