Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently run a 10 bale accumulator/grapple. I really like the idea of going to a 15-bale for efficiency in the field. I have the equipment/trailer/wagon capacity and width to accommodate the wider bale pack already on hand. A 15-bale tie grabber would be my preference just for stability in the bigger packs on edge. What's holding me back is the idea that 95% of my hay is picked up at the barn and loaded on customer trailers with my grapple . Of those customers almost all have bumper pull trailers that won't accommodate the wider pack loading from the side like I regularly do. So while a 15-bale will save me time in the field, I'm thinking it will make loading less efficient. Also if i have to cut every tied pack to fit the trailer it seems to defeat the purpose. Let's assume I already have to the cash on hand for the 15-bale system (I don't and cost is definitely being considered but for the sake of conversation skip the costs. I know it is expensive).

Would the efficiency in the field be enough for you to switch? Maybe I'm giving to much weight to the loading idea? Am I plugging one hole in the boat to create another, and not further ahead? Maybe I just need customers with bigger trailers? Thoughts and opinions are welcomed. For context I'll be in the 10,000 bales a year range this upcoming season.

· Registered
125 Posts
half as many grabs in the field would get bales off of the field faster and get more bales on a wagon. are we still selling by the bale? i target about 50# in a 34" long bale. Do the customer's trailers accommodate 5 on edge when loaded from the end? If we're not talking about the costs, then a tie grab for the field and a 90° rotating grapple for loadout sounds like a nice setup!

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
half as many grabs in the field would get bales off of the field faster and get more bales on a wagon. are we still selling by the bale? i target about 50# in a 34" long bale. Do the customer's trailers accommodate 5 on edge when loaded from the end?
I currently make a 36in bale at 50# .. also sell by the bale... yes a 5 on edge would fit widthwise loaded from the end.. I just load a lot more 14-18 foot utility trailers than goosenecks... loading with the grapple has just made me soft.. its fast and as easy as just sitting in the skid steer.. I'll do some reading on rotating grapples bc I'm not very familiar with them.. i just know that once you get accustomed to mechanically stacking bales, you don't really want to go back to hand stacking.. I'm just trying to decide if a 15-bale grapple is going to mess up my overall system or improve it.

Also I'm not stuck on the 36 in bale length.. 34 could be done if needed.

217 Posts
Are your customers willing to stack on their trailer? Maybe switch to bring the bales out to the trailer, set them down, and let the customer cut the pack and arrange on their trailer as they want? At some point your customers would have to cut the pack to unload the trailers (and this presuming you are not using a tie grabber now with your 10-packs.)

· Registered
2,371 Posts
If I follow correctly. Why not hang on to your current grapple for loading customers at farm. Move and store at 15. Load out 10 if needed. Once stacked cut the tie as needed. you would have the ability of loading customers 10 or 15 at a time. At some point there would be some physical labor involved. How much would depend on your storage and creativity removing bales.

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That might be the most direct way to go.. sure always have to handle a few by hand to fit a trailer but it’s minimal.. I can think of more than a handful of people that buy hay from me just bc we load it for them mechanically.. a lot of men buying hay for their wife’s horses come the first time and then see that we don’t need them to help throw bales, after that they just send their wife with the trailer.. if they’re happy I’m happy.. thanks for the responses

· Registered
29 Posts
I run a Maxilattor accumagrapple so I have the 10 bale configuration. I'm in the 3000 bale per year camp so a large producer as you. :)

|==
|==

Bales flat. 10 on what I call a "pallet of hay" but no wood pallet is involved. Just the hay.

Although this is a little slower in the field than a 15 bale, when customers shows up, it works. For 16 x 7 foot carhaulers trailers, I load 4 of these pallets on the rear (40 bales). Then push them to the bulkhead. Be careful of the fenderwells but it will fit. Then another 4 pallets (40 bales). Then load from the side 20 bales. Two straps from front to back is all that is needed. For 8 ft. goosenecks, I load from the side. Utility trailers can be a bit more of a challenge. Usually dump them and it requires some hand stacking. Customers really like this a they can sit and drink their coffee while I load.

What kind of accumulator are you using? The grapple. You might be better investing in an accumulator like Kuhn/Norton or Parrish/Rafter M. This has saved me a ton of time in the field.

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kind of accumulator are you using? The grapple. You might be better investing in an accumulator like Kuhn/Norton or Parrish/Rafter M. This has saved me a ton of time in the field.
Im running a 10 bale hoelscher system.. absolutely no problems with it and served me very well.. just always looking at what may maximize efficiency in the field.. the proverbial “how do we do more with less” lol.. we’re at a point we could add more hay but some of my really good part-time high school/college guys are about to grow up and move on so deciding if I replace them with new greenhorns or try to do it with equipment to an extent.. I’m at the very early stages of researching the 15-bale systems and honestly there’s other items that are bottlenecking our overall operation that need attention (and require $$) before we look at replacing our current accumulator that has zero problems.. some videos online brought up my original question so I just thought I’d ask and also dreaming is free so it fits in the current budget

· Registered
724 Posts
We bale 15k to 20k per year with khun 10 bale flat accumulator and a standard grapple. Just going on edge to flat will make big difference in loading speed and stability. For 10000 bales a year the 25000k investment for the 15 bale system would be hard to justify. I would spend the money to get rid of the Hoelscher had one wouldn't take one as a gift. Good luck

· Registered
125 Posts
On the other hand, if Mstuck gets along with the Hoelscher accumulator, i believe the hoelscher accumulators for 10bale on edge can be reconfigured to make 15bales on edge by adding an extra bar across the top. That 15 on edge setup with a tie grapple appears quite stable. 15 on edge may also fit some utility trailers when stacking from the end like Missouri does with the 10 flat.

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i believe the hoelscher accumulators for 10bale on edge can be reconfigured to make 15bales on edge by adding an extra bar across the top.
Correct Jimmy they can be modified for 15 bales.. the biggest issue from my understanding is that there are 2 "posts" that hold the bars across the top and they leave very little room for error when trying to fit 3 bales between... if you have some variation in bale length they physically won't fit and you'll be out of the seat lining out your table...now that said GL Nause makes it look real easy on their website so maybe a phone call with the professionals would be real cheap

1 - 13 of 13 Posts