Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,815 Posts
The sugar aphid has made it to us, anybody else having any problems? They can be sprayed but I chose to just cut what little hay was standing and will be plowed up next week.
Not familiar with this pest....tell us what you know.

Regards, Mike

·
Hay Master
815 Posts
I seen some pictures of them the other day , they look a close to a greenbug or russian wheat aphid . I bet a good spray job would kill'em ................ I know we dont have them here yet .

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not familiar with this pest....tell us what you know.

Regards, Mike
This is the first year I have seen them, I only know what little I have read online but 2013 was the first year they were found in texas and have gotten worse. Basically they are eating on the plant and what they leave behind stops the plant from breathing and turns it brown. There are a few good articles the schools have put out to be found online by searching Sugar Aphid.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
The Sugar Cane Aphid wiped out 300+ acres of milo just up the road from my home. They got the Johnsongrass on the edge of the field also but haven't affected the JG in the road ditches.

·
Hay Master
1,763 Posts
I am concerned we may have them her in Central Texas on my alfalfa,

We will see when ever we get some useful moisture.

Maybe we will have enough viable alfalfa seed to establish a volunteer stand in the old stand. I hope the stand I plant in less than a month is not my last alfalfa planted.

If the sugar aphid does attack alfalfa it will give the alfalfa breeders something to work on.

·
Hay Master
1,763 Posts
TX Jim.

A couple of points.

It is possible these fields of alfalfa died after producing viable seed during this years annual summer drought.
This alfalfa is not irrigated, but is in the Texas Blacklands, with a 40 CEC clay loam and a calcareous soil.

Observation on my farm says the standard truth is not true HERE.
It has been suggested that our hot summers cook the chemical that kills alfalfa seedlings which is the reason we see volunteer thickening of alfalfa, here on this soil, this climate, and my relaxed management style.
For sure my Fall/Winter herbicide program will be for a seedling stand not older established stands.

We have several look and see situations. If the Dove Season Rains materialize and the alfalfa greens up, then for sure it is not due to any Sugar Aphid.
True the Pea Aphid did much the same to our old Public Domain variety in the 1960's.
We now have some good aphid resistant alfalfa offered, now.

True it also could be a simple drought induced die off. Even though we did not see a major kill off from drought in earlier years with even less rain in July & August. ( Zero would be less than 0.20" of rain )

If you do not mind enlightening me Just where is Coyote Flats,Texas located.

Your opinion is right inline with the pronouncements by Gary Lacefield, KY - Dan Undersander, WI - Dan Putnam CA, all of whom I believe are being truthful. Still my lying eyes tell me different, here 10 miles South of Temple TX.

Mark Marsalis, & Leonard Lauriault both of NM may but probably will not agree with my observations.

Maybe you will attend the NM hay association
I hope to attend the annual conference this January or February.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
I'm not very knowledgeable on Alfalfa as none is grown in my area. It's been planted by several neighbors but didn't last. The autotoxity(sp) of seeding Alfalfa in an existing stand is something I've read about. I can't believe you've never heard of Coyote Flats,Tx after all it's only been in existence since May.,2010

Attachments

·
Hay Master
1,763 Posts
TX Jim.

I just can not imagine not knowing about Coyote Flats,Texas!
After all we lived in Willow Park, on Willow Park St. for 6 years. Out two kids graduated from Aledo, HS.
Coyote Flats is almost exactly North of my Hay Farm, at 30.58 & change N.

It is very possible your soils provide you some of the interesting challenges we here enjoy.

Alfalfa not a popular crop there is not all that strange. I have been told by PhD's that we can not grow alfalfa, HERE, mostly because of cotton root rot. Strange because alfalfa was a popular hay crop here, to feed the mules. I have no idea how long this farm has grown alfalfa. At least 60 year that I know for sure.

Without irrigation we can expect a cutting maybe late March, more likely early April. Than again late May and again late June early July. Drought July and August when the alfalfa will grow maybe 10 inches tall, bloom and go to seed.

I joined the AF to get out of a Hay Field, and then left the AF to come right back to the same hay fields. Which proves I am weak minded.

·
Hay Master
1,763 Posts
May want to know where Coyote Flats is located. If I-35 keeps getting worse I may want to go on another route to the North Side of Fort Worth.

Some of the worry is off. We received .5" of rain the last 10 days of August. Not the usual inch or two but enough to pop some leaves out on the dead looking alfalfa stems.

Now if this Sugar Cane Aphid turns out to like johnsongrass it may have some value.

For now that aphid is less of a threat, HERE.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.