Hay & Forage Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some one called me today telling me he would collect money from my over due customers for a fee. The number came up unavailable on my phone and the man never gave me his name. I think the guy hung up on me when I wouldn't give him the info that he wanted. We have listing in the phone book and i think he was just cold calling people. Just was wondering if this person may have contacted any of you guys.

Thanks
Austin

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have never got any calls like that. Sounds fishy to me. The strangest call I got was last week. I answered the phone and a guy on the other end started talking Spanish to me. I looked up the area code and it came from somewhere in Georgia.

·
89 Posts
Nothing like that here in IL, but a friend in Missouri that sells alot of hay was the target of an overpayment check scam last year. He ahd heard abouth before hand and was able to say no thanks and notify the authorities. Have to be careful. I would imagine this guy is a scam artist...even if real would probably alienate customers...that would never be good, IMO. Take care my friend.

·
Hay Master
224 Posts
I have somewhat scam story as well. I lost the front half of my PTO to our 1431 discbine. You know the one that costs like 1800 bucks!! Well long story short, I put ads in the papers, contacted local authorities, called local scrapyards, even went as far as put an ad on Craigslist. I just about lost hope when 3 Saturdays ago, I get a call from a guy from Illinois, I recognized the area code from having lived in Chicago for a year. The guy asked me if I was missing a shaft, and then asked me to describe it. I was so happy that I actually described it to him. I asked if he had it and he said yes. Now I live in Mass, so I am thinking to myself, why does a guy in Chicago have my PTO shaft that fell off on a highway 3 miles from where I live??? Hmmmm. so I ask, he replies, "well you see, I am a truck driver, and I saw it laying in the middle of the road, thought it was dangerous, so I picked it up. I had a real hard time tracking you down". So I said, well can you send it to me, he said "yep I will call you in a half hour, I will pay for it to be shipped and you can just send me a check for the amount it costs." 4 hours later he calls and says it gonna be $88.00 to have it shipped. So I am thinking $88 vs $1800.....duh, so I even offer the guy a reward. So I am raking hay, then all of a sudden the light bulb goes off over my head. I call him back and ask him who he is sending it through, he says "DHL" I say good. I then call DHL and ask much to ship the shaft, they tell me by truck $3900 + $9 COD. I wait for his call and he asks me this....lol "Do you have a truckstop nearby, or grocery store??? I am gonna need to have you western union me the money to have it shipped..." now.....diidn't I just say he was gonna pay to have it shipped, yep I did!! He then starts screaming at me cuz I won't send the money to him. I said just ship it COD and I will send you a reward for finding and returning it!! He changed his number the next day..lol He never had the shaft to begin with I imagine, he must have been going through the lost and found ads on Craigslist and saw how desperate I was to get it back. Well I am just glad I was keen enough to save myself $88!! Sorry that was so long, just found it humorous!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts