Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a Steffen 950 accumulator flat stack that has ran maybe 100 thousands bales flawlessly. Now for some unknown reason after about 100 bales or so the baler fails to to tie. In other words the arm does not sweep the first two bales to the back. It just loads 8 and then dumps. It does this every three or four loads which makes it hard to pinpoint why. All the switches seem fine and I have swapped all the relays around. You can manually quick dump the first two that don't sweep and the next will load fine. Maybe someone here has had this problem?

·
Registered
101 Posts
does the reset switch (top left side of the dump chain) fully cycle when this happens? this is my first season with a used 950, so there are probably others who know more.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Switch does reset and the dump reset button in the cab quickly dumps the two bales that are out of sequence and then the accumulator starts working again like factory.. Since I have done most of the easy stuff I am going to put a brake light above the machine for trouble shooting. I am going to hook it to the Tie Solenoid. If the light works every time and the tie arm fails to swing a cross I can determine what is wrong with the hydraulics. If the light does not come on then it is electrical. At least I can start narrowing down the problem. I like the 950. I would suggest stocking a switch lever like the one on the top. Stock a master link on the big chain as it holds the cross bar on and in a bind you can't find one like that. We use a camera to watch the progress out back. We moved ours on the right rail of the baler about 18 inches up so we can see the bale come out and the accumulator. We have used several bale accumulators and this one is the best. Tip> at the end of the day and you find extra bales in the field leave the accumulator running and pull up beside the stray bale and throw them on the chain and it will feed right in. Beats having to hand fit it to a stack on the ground somewhere.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Doesn't the control box on the tractor allow you to manually engage the tie layer. Of course that only works if you catch it with just two bales and still isn't the easy way. I would call or email Steffen systems. Although it was a few years ago they were more than willing to talk with me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I do now. Hit dump/Reset and the thing dumps the two outa sequence bales and it starts over like new.

·
Registered
812 Posts
The middle switch should allow you to activate the tie bar manually. Do you have the manual? The manual has a good trouble shooting section and is available on the manufactures website.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts