Hay & Forage Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I really just like the idea of producing hundreds of large squares and sending them off to whoever needs them. I love hay making and always have. Money is, but it isnt a problem for me for getting started if that makes sense. No im not gonna be able to start out with 1000 acres of pure alfaflfa but 100 acres and the equipment is not a problem for me whatsoever. I just need to find a steady market first and then i can go from there. id like to be able to gain 100-150 acres maybe every 5 years but then again no point in having the land in the hay if i can market it i guess.

Im just tossing around the idea of it all and seeing if i can have what i really want someday, a dream job. Nothing makes me happier than bouncing around the field in a tractor mowing and baling hay so if im gonna do it someday on my own, why not make decent money right? lol

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
3,016 Posts
Well, I wasn't going to respond but there is still 12" on the ground with a 3 " ice crust adn another 2-4 on the way tonight so I am bored. Here goes-start with a small square bale op, minimum investment, max return on per ton basis. If you get customers there with all used beatup equipment, then start thinking of where you want to go. I sell 6K squares and 100 rounds a year and frankly, the cost of a 3x3 would scare me to death. just my 1 cents worth. rick

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
No, Im not looking for a get rich quick scheme by no means, but im trying to find a way to have the money coming in and be home at the same time. im really interested in welding but i dont want to travel and have no social life so i would rather stick with farming. im just looking for the most enjoyable way to make a living farming and i believe for me anyways its haying. I like the idea of starting small but then i love the idea of diving in and taking the risk. probably not smart but itd be a challenge and i like a challenge. But im not gonna go out and put my life savings into something that i havent researched and found out the best possible way to make it work. i just have a lot of unanswered questions about it and that is why i joined the forum so maybe 3/4 of them could be answered. Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Who says you have to travel to be a welder? Here we have enough dipstick wannabe farmers that break something every week to keep me busy at it part time and I dont advertise. I almost prefer not to do it. :)
Theres some of them around here too lol i guess that could be an income source as well, some welding on equipment on the side. that might pay the grocery bill and a little more as much as people break stuff haha

·
Registered
355 Posts
Patro, you have received some sound positive advice here. Like was said, step in one foot at a time. Don't get in over your head. That's easy to do. Grow with your market.

There will be long hot days and little social life when hay season is in full swing.

Stay within your bounds and follow your dream. With the Grace of God and good fortune, you will get there.

·
Amateur Dairyman
1,635 Posts
Gotta keep working at it to make it work and be successful. I bust my a** everyday running a dairy farm. No social life either the farm is my life. Girlfriend doesn't like that part but oh well wait till we start field work and crops again....i guess she'll get used to it or else. But to me its worth it i have a dream of where i want to be in the future and work everyday to get there. Just takes some time that's the problem with most young people our age they aren't patient. Nice thing about farming is every year you grow a bit more if managed properly.

I must say i don't miss one day of high school and it'll be 5 years this June since graduation. Come along way since then and learned alot more in the past 5 years than any of school. Always got to keep an open mind and apt to learning and you'll be successful

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
It's tough to make a living off of just one thing. Diversification is key in my opinion and animals go well with a hay operation weather it be cows sheep goats etc. etc. they balance each other out well. You will have good years and bad years with both, it's hard to rely solely on hay for a steady income. At least that's the case in my area.

·
Amateur Dairyman
1,635 Posts
Lol griffin I got so sick of learning nothing at school I quit in grade 11 to get a head start on my farming career. Knew I all needed to know by then. :D
Lol well i didn't have any study halls most of high school and even did a few homeschool courses just so i could get my credits and be able to only go half a day instead of a full day my senior year so i could be home farming. Had a lot of jealous classmates.....plus i only did enough to get by and pass all my classes lol star student material haha

·
Super Moderator
8,727 Posts
Lol well i didn't have any study halls most of high school and even did a few homeschool courses just so i could get my credits and be able to only go half a day instead of a full day my senior year so i could be home farming. Had a lot of jealous classmates.....plus i only did enough to get by and pass all my classes lol star student material haha
My senior yr was somewhat similar.They had trimesters then.I had enough credits to get out at lunch time the 1st trimester and go home then to farm.2nd trimester I had full days of class and the 3rd trimester I didn't have any classes and was full time farming.Came back at graduation to get that piece of paper.It is a piece of paper a guy should have but has not done a bit of good for me.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts