Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
32 Posts
I'm a younger guy here too in my early 20's. Gotta have a demand for your product. Right now I still got a lot of small squares left to sell. One year you may sell all your hay quickly and for a good price. This past year in my area everyone had LOTS of hay. Right now the demand isn't very high due to the surplus of hay we had. Every year is different, two previous years we had drought and hay prices were very high.

I'm just a small scale guy here. Full time job and I put up hay and sell it on the side because I love to do it, and to hopefully make some extra money. I'm still acquiring equipment so everything I make goes right back into repairs and upgrading my stuff. I'd like to one day be a full-time farmer but It will take me awhile to get to that point.

If I were to do this full-time I wouldn't be depending on just one thing. I would be very versatile, Don't put everything into just that one business. Do a couple other things along with selling hay, that way if one has a bad year hopefully one of your other businesses does well.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts