Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
3,916 Posts
Building a potential customer base is important. Looking at competition is also important.

There is only going to be a certain amount of custom baling in an area. If there are already custom balers working your area then it might be hard to find work.

If you do have a few customers then they will usually want their hay cut at the same time, same weather window. Telling one customer that you are going to cut another field ahead of him is hard for most to accept.

I will never deter anyone from going into anything Ag. I will always advise them to take a hard look with both eyes open at the area they want to pursue.

I have a good friend who is now successful in the auto parts business. His first dream out of high school was to custom bale hay. He said dealing with farmers was a challenge for him, that there was more to making hay than it appeared from the road. He soon sold his equipment to someone else who wanted to give it a shot.

If there is any way you could work this next summer for a custom operation it would help to learn the ins and outs of the business and get paid to learn.

I would charge by the acre if I could. Thin yields do not pay when done by the bale.

·
3,916 Posts
I was paying $10 just to have it rolled, 4x5's, with me cutting and raking. If I could have had it done when needed I would have never bought a round baler.

Back then I was only feeding 100 rolls a year.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts