Hay & Forage Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
3 Posts
I have sold and seen StandFast(TM) alfalfas...in fact I chose the very first one marketed in the USA (Attention). It is the real deal. I sell the StandFast varieties Attention and Attention II. They both exhibit improved standability and are very high yielding with very good quality.

There are also "Fast Recovery" StandFast varieties that recover after cutting 10-20% faster than Attention II...but they do not carry improved standability...and they have not shown much improvement in yield.

The reason I selected varieties with the improved standability is because they give the producer "More Harvestable Yield and Quality(TM)"...in otherwords...you will rarely harvest downed alfalfa and you will harvest a better quality product...and more of what you grow. In my book I want alfalfa for the real world...and Attention and Attention II have provided a better crop for many producers...

·
Super Moderator
8,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a test field seeded in 2004 (under annual ryegrass) 4 varieties Attention with Standfast,Rugged(wheel traffic var) Dynamic,and Perfect.The first two hay yrs the Att had more bales per acre but they were lighter because it was coarser hay.The Att was FD4 and the others FD2.I wish I would have gotten a better wieght but you all know how hectic hay season is.Could buy the new Vermeer baler with scale.In the fall of yr2 nieghbors hiredman got on wrong field hauling manure with 700 bu sideslinger,the ground was a little wet and where he drove it died in wheel tracks.Just a couple loads but on the strip of Att.So much for my test.The Att.had slightly more winter kill that winter also but it is FD4 others FD2.The Attention with Standfast did Stand better,taller,and came back faster.This spring this field had bad hail/wind at bud stage.The Att got chopped of worse than the others (stiffer stems?)Just wondering if anyone else has tried the stanfast varieties.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts