Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
made the switch this year from a kicker to an accumulator and grapple. went with the 15 on edge system. I was able to stack in our barn six and sometimes seven layers high with skid loader. After that we set up the hay elevator and did it the old fashion way to go higher. wanted to reach out and see what everyone was using to stack their accumulated bales in the barn, been looking at tele handlers and all terrain forklifts, what are your guy's thoughts and are there any other options I should look at, barn floor is not concreted.

·
Registered
721 Posts
We use a telehandler to load in the field but our storage sheds are not set up for unloading with the grapple. The skid steer is more maneuverable then a telehandler especially in a building. Not a fan of forklifts. JBC makes a skid steer with telescopic boom but they're pricey about 80k

·
195 Posts
How many rows higher than 6 or 7 are you looking to stack?

I run a 10 bale on edge can reach about 7 high with my front loader. So I stack 6 with the loader, then get a boy or two up on the stack to manually stack 3 rows high as I set them up there. So I end up with bales stacked 9 high. Of course, I have to manually pull them back out, but that is okay cuz its over a longer period of time then when you are in a hurry to get the wagons offloaed into the barn.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I do flat 8 and stack with a NH785 skidsteer and a JD3010 tractor. All my grapples and attachments are homemade, the one on the tractor I tried to copy the Steffen style grapple with a high lift attachment and I can stack 9 layers flat plus a bottom layer on edge which I set by hand. I can do one layer less with the skid-steer with the more direct type attachment. I couldn't go any higher than the 10 layers flat in my building, I might be able to do another layer with the tractor if I had room.

·
34 Posts
Our first two years with an accumulator system, we did the same - stack 7 layers high with skid steer (on edge), then finish the stack by hand. Knew there had to be a better way, so found a good used forklift and bought a Steffen grapple for it. We can maneuver this setup much easier in the barn, versus the bulky skid steer, and it also allows us to stack 10 layers high (on edge). I will add, we use a Kuhn tie grabber in the field - I feel much more comfortable stacking 10 layers high on edge in the barn with the bundles tied...

I know you mentioned that your barn floor is not concreted, so this probably would not be a good option for you, but showing another possibility for consideration.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
154 Posts
That is a super nice setup from what I can tell. That grapple goes vertical and horizontal I believe too. Thanks for the picture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts