Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although it doesn't feel like it in many places, Spring is really at hand in much of the Southern US and other places. My son is down in Marshallville GA hunting pigs and quail and took this pic this evening. Jonquils are late here but should be blooming in about 10 days.

Regards, Mike

iucXIml.jpg

·
An ounce of doing is worth a pound of talk
1,246 Posts
It got warm enough today (44) that I had to shed my coat. It was a nice day for setting up some calving pens in our loafing shed. I don't really think we are going to need it, but dad thought we should set them up. I am hoping we don't need them; Although we can get a few snow storms in March. We should start calving about the middle of March.

·
Hay Master
2,194 Posts
We might hit freezing tomorrow for the first time since February 5th and also have almost a foot of snow on the ground. Most snow we have had on ground at one time since December of 2005. Has been a very consistent winter here though with really no wild temperature swings. Not uncommon for us to have a few 60° days in December and January and even 70 in February but have only had 2 days above 50 so far this year.

Reactions: Cactus50 and Vol

·
Super Moderator
11,034 Posts
We might hit freezing tomorrow for the first time since February 5th and also have almost a foot of snow on the ground. Most snow we have had on ground at one time since December of 2005. Has been a very consistent winter here though with really no wild temperature swings. Not uncommon for us to have a few 60° days in December and January and even 70 in February but have only had 2 days above 50 so far this year.
Jeez you guys in the tropical part of Indiana. Came close to setting a record low here and there up here but didn't quite.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Spring is definitely here in south central Texas now. The ground is covered in a blanket of green, all the trees are budding, and flowers are starting to bloom. The bees are loving it too, haven't seen this many in three years. Wasn't sure how the trees were going to fare after the harsh winter storms we had but all of the dead leaves have been shed and the new ones are growing out. I've never seen our oaks take a hit like that but they don't seem to be any worse for the wear.

·
Super Moderator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
61° this morning. From the looks of the fields yesterday, I will be cutting hay in 4-5 weeks if weather does permit. Trees are leafing out birds are nesting.

Regards, Mike

·
5,884 Posts
Meanwhile after almost a week of above freezing, we have snow predicted for 4 out of the next 8 days. Possibility of a foot this weekend. Won't last though.

·
An ounce of doing is worth a pound of talk
1,246 Posts
Yesterday it tried to snow here, and today it's supposed to be in the low sixties, and on Monday it was in the mid 70's . This weather has been wild here lately.

·
5,884 Posts
Had another few inches of snow Monday that's all gone now. Frost coming out of the ground in the fields now, itching to get some manure spread but I know I'm gonna bury the spreader if I try now.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Most everyone is done planting corn down here, most acres I've seen since mid eighties. It's been bumping into the 80°s during the days still mid 50s at night. I am spriggin about 25 acres of Bermuda today and tomorrow that will probably cut the rain off.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
If we don't get rain soon won't be much hay to make this year. Not sure of the ranking but getting close to the driest year ever. March/April average is 6.5" and currently at 1". Jan/Feb. was half the normal and they have now taken all the rain out of next week.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.