Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like several others on the site I have been looking for a newer sprayer with bigger booms. In my search I have come across a few smaller spra-coupes (220) that are in the same price range, other than having a smaller tank and having to fill up more often I think this could be beneficial getting across a larger amount of ground (60' booms) and leaving minimal tracks. I mostly spray hay fields and pasture but have a little wheat and hopefully a few acres of row crop ground in the coming future. What are y'all's thoughts on the small coupes vs a pull type sprayer?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would run away from a 220. The parts are becoming ridiculously priced and for a little more you can get into a 3000 model. The 220 has way less power, a confusing transmission, a 200 gallon tank, and the booms, the older models anyways, were not controlled be hydraulic, they were electric. I currently drive a 3430 sprayer with 60' and 300 gallon tank. This 3430 was 5X better hen a 220. I would stay with a pull-type instead of a 220. Spray-coupes do seem to be very durable, and we have a local spray-coupe dealer that knows a lot.

·
Super Moderator
11,033 Posts
Stay away from them as well if they are only 2 wheel drive models unless you are extremely confident you'll never cover soft ground.

·
Super Moderator
11,033 Posts
That may be so, but from our experience any time you have more tires driving, the ruts don't tend to get near as deep.

A few people still use two wheel drive units around here, but most have all gone to four wheel drive, and those still get stuck.

One just about rolled over last year in the muck, started out just stuck, but by time help arrived it had settled in that much. Two wheel drive, not sure if four wheel drive would have helped much as muck can be peculiar.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I try not to get in fields when it's wet as I don't like tracking them up, the one for sale locally does have the hydraulic booms. Some of my fields are a good distance from the house so travel wise it looks like they might be easier to move than a tractor?

·
Hay Master
1,876 Posts
I'm not sure if they improved them but the 220 i bought new was way too underpowered, and the transmission simply sucked. Traction was an issue also. Myself, if a lot of the acres were hay/pasture, would buy a truck mounted unit and put it on an old SRW 1 ton truck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.