Hay & Forage Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Anyone seeing sluggish hay sales, particularly in the small squares market? We are located in west central Illinois and comparing with last year at this time, our sales are down 70%. Our main market is small squares and most of our customers are horsey folk. We should have had a few semi loads of hay sold by now. We are selling some hay to the local customers but we haven't heard a lot from our big volume customers, like horse farms, stables and show barns. Are people procrastinating? Our prices are not far off from some of the hay auctions. Is it an economic effect or the virus? As I look outside the window there is still some green grass in the yard. We haven't seen any snow yet and that might have something to do with it too. Just wondering if anyone else is seeing a slowdown in their sales or have any thoughts on this. My bosses say its because we haven't had any real Midwestern winter weather yet. We are supposed to get back up to the 50s later this week. 2020 has definitely been a challenging year on all fronts!

·
5,678 Posts
Try marketing into eastern US/eastern Canada. We are seeing van trailers coming from farther away than you shipping in hay. Small squares at 3x the normal pricing now. I looked at trying to buy some small squares in Ontario near Detroit to ship here and their local pricing was over 10$ a bale for 40 lb bales. That's Canadian $, maybe 7$ USD?

I've heard Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, NYS all having same issues.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Here in my neck of the woods of VA, there is a glut of hay, round and squares. Our hay is moving, but slow. We are not joining the bandwagon to lower prices...

·
Super Moderator
15,764 Posts
Rounds are slow here, but things have begun to pick up. Little square demand is still good like always.

Regards, Mike

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I'd say an OK market here for ss bales. I only have a few years of being back in that market. So far this year sold over 80% of mine, for what I consider premium pricing (2nd and later cuttings @ $9). Have requests for RB that I don't sell, two neighbors who do are sold out. Doesn't look like a white Christmas in my area this year too.

Larry

·
Super Moderator
11,028 Posts
Needs to get cold with some of the white stuff on the ground then the last minute calls come in.

·
An ounce of doing is worth a pound of talk
1,153 Posts
I have cousin here in Wyoming that was having trouble finding hay. I sold some third cutting in October for $190 a ton, and could have sold more. I am going to hang on to the rest my hay for my needs; not going to cut myself short.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your insights. I guess I'm being a little impatient. I usually have at least 1/3 of the hay sold by now. Every year is a little bit different and this one is no exception. Some years the hay sells itself and some years I have to hustle a little. Hopefully next year will be a better growing season.

·
Super Moderator
8,703 Posts
I have cousin here in Wyoming that was having trouble finding hay. I sold some third cutting in October for $190 a ton, and could have sold more. I am going to hang on to the rest my hay for my needs; not going to cut myself short.
Have a friend east of there that didn't get anything baled on his ranch in SW SD.He going to haul his cows back here to winter them vs buying hay out there.

·
Super Moderator
15,764 Posts
Since this topic was started, I have had a lot of hay roll out. That is about all I have done this week is load hay. But rounds are still slow.

Regards, Mike

·
184 Posts
I put an ad on CL December 1st to sell a little bit of my excess (small squares grass horse hay). My Phone rang off the hook. I sold more hay in 2 days than I really wanted to, and at a price higher than last year (but apparently too cheap). I deleted the ad after 2 days.

·
Hay Master
1,858 Posts
I sold my 1st load of round bales today. $130/ton loaded. At this rate its gonna be a long time before 2020's crop is sold.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I sold my 1st load of round bales today. $130/ton loaded. At this rate its gonna be a long time before 2020's crop is sold.
When I first looked I thought, wow, that's a fair price per ton, then it hit me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,dummy he's talking Canadian ones. But at that price it would be selling like hot cakes HERE. 1st cutting 4 x 5 RB, selling for up to $75 a bale at last weeks hay auction. Figuring at 1,000# each, $150 a ton US, $190 + Canadian. :eek:

Larry

·
5,678 Posts
Locally is up to 400$US a ton for horse hay. People are getting desperate. Normally struggle to get 120 USD a ton.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yup hay in Ontario is expensive too in many areas. No leftover inventory from the year past. No rain in many areas for 2nd cut. First was really good and 3rd too. I’ve had people calling me for first cut and I’ve called for guys I know and have bought from and they are completely sold out! I sold my hay loaded on wagons in the field for 7-7.50$ and was happy. Don’t have to touch it twice. These guys were selling out of the barn for 8-9 $ bale. One buddy advertised on Kijiji 200$ a bundle of 21’s . I said your crazy never happen. Gone in 30 days 1500 bales. Oh well .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts