Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi- I want to seed 6 acre hayfield ( just bought it was in beans) I also was to seed about 25 acres of horse pastures. Is something like a Deere 8300 grain drill what I want? I see Deere 8300 gran drills for 1,500 to 2,500. or do i need one of the Brillion seeder packers? Thanks!!!

120724868_3565076926846083_3131039953557

or

605c8a5960960d46ca0143e4.jpg?width=1024&

·
Super Moderator
15,814 Posts
Brillions excel in sowing alfalfa in a tilled field. If your ground to sow is not real hard, then you can actually no-till with a JD grain drill. Especially if you had some moisture.

No-tilling is definitively faster and easier.

Maybe rent a grain drill this time and see how it works for you.

Regards, Mike

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 8200 just like that one and like Mike says, I have had really good success when there’s some moisture in the ground “no tilling” with that drill, mine has double disc openers and I usually pull a packer behind it, I too will pull the hoses off, tape over where the hose clips to the opener assembly and drop the seed and pack it in when in worked ground making it a similar concept to the brillion. So to answer your question I’ve been satisfied with the diversity of my drill, cheaper upfront cost from what I could tell when I was in the market too, not many of those brillions running around my neck of the woods either

·
Hay Master
1,071 Posts
I use a JD 8300 double-disk opener grain drill with a small seed box for all my seeding needs, from Ball clover seeded no-till and alfalfa on clean-tilled roller packed sandy loam soil, to no-till seeding cereal rye, oats, and ryegrass into short cut warm season grass pasture. A packer is pulled behind the drill when seeding alfalfa and a drag is pulled when seeding no-till into grass pastures. This formerly bean drill works well in all scenarios.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I bought a Brillion last year and overall have been impressed, as well as a farmer I work with. Specifically I like the way it packs it down and doesn't put your hayland into 'rows' like a drill.

Issue is you can't really sow a cover crop in with it to help with your establishment. As a result, on a field I am working this year, I have to get him to come on out with his drill to sow the oats. We mix some of the grass seed in to the oats to hedge our bets a little.

My Brillion at least can't sow oats which need to be drilled, they are too large to fit through the openings, at least on mine.

All that said, if you're growing pasture for your horses you probably wouldn't put the oats down, so I'd recomend the brillion.

·
Hay Hoser
1,009 Posts
What are the prose and cons of single or double opening discs?

·
Hay Hoser
1,009 Posts
What are the prose and cons of single or double opening discs?
Yes I asked again....
Thanks!

Reactions: BisonMan

·
5,826 Posts
In old conventional tillage drills I've been told:
-single has more down pressure as only one disc, so can cut through trash better or go deeper
-single plugs more due to the boot on side
-single can't go as fast as it will toss dirt to the side
-single can wear the linkage from side load when run deep/hard conditions
-double has better seed depth control in good seed bed
-single cheaper to buy and replace discs

This is not directly applicable to min till or no-till drills.

I only have personal experience planting with CIH 5400's on Coulter carts.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
[/quote]single has more down pressure as only one disc, so can cut through trash better or go deeper
-single plugs more due to the boot on side [/quote]

My experience is double disk handles trash better because they ride over trash vs plugging

·
5,826 Posts
Yeah, sort of a trade off, less plugging and more hair pinning trash with double disc vs more cutting trash and plugging with single.

single has more down pressure as only one disc, so can cut through trash better or go deeper
-single plugs more due to the boot on side [/quote]

My experience is double disk handles trash better because they ride over trash vs plugging
[/QUOTE]

·
Hay Hoser
1,009 Posts
Thanks y’all!
Do appreciate the responses

Reactions: BisonMan

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use a Befco Greenrite seeder for that stuff. Its hit or miss depending on how you can get the machine set up. I plant Bahia grass and the seed is so small the metering amount is super tricky. My results are usually on par with just broadcasting seed and going over it with a chain drag.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts