Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
3,318 Posts
Thanks Jim!

Suppose someone 50 miles away wanted 22 bales delivered.

what's it going to take for a professional tractor trailer owner to be remotely interesting in the hauling of that?
They would be betting off going to their local farm store and paying their absurd prices. You would have more in the labor and transport than the hay unless you are intent on running a hay charity

Reactions: GulleyFarmsRhett

· Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, some versions of that are definitely true, and while excellent information and a sincere intent on answering, that i thank you for! :

It isn't exactly the question iv been pondering

just to be thoroughly detailed:

I'm wanting to know what a professional trucking service would want for 22 bales delivered 50 miles from the pick up location, without consideration (per this question anyway) of who ultimately pays for it.

The professional truckers perspective, is what im trying to gain an understanding of.

Thanks again Hayman1!

· Registered
123 Posts
Yes, some versions of that are definitely true, and while excellent information and a sincere intent on answering, that i thank you for! :

It isn't exactly the question iv been pondering

just to be thoroughly detailed:

I'm wanting to know what a professional trucking service would want for 22 bales delivered 50 miles from the pick up location, without consideration (per this question anyway) of who ultimately pays for it.

The professional truckers perspective, is what im trying to gain an understanding of.

Thanks again Hayman1!
I think you’d be better off asking somebody who actually does this. I see you’re in east Texas. I picked Lufkin sort of at random since I don’t know exactly where you are. I looked on Facebook Marketplace and there’s a guy named Cody Perkins from Gilmer who does exactly what you are looking for.

It doesn’t give a phone number because they want you to make contact through their app, so I don’t have any further info. Hope this helps.

· Registered
669 Posts
I'm guessing you are talking large rounds? What size? I'm thinking you would have to be in the $4.00 to $5.00 per mile range to hire someone to do it. If you figure by the hour that's 1 hour to load and strap 1 hour drive and an 1 hour to unload. In a good situation loading and unloading should take less time then that. You may find some one local just trying to make a little side cash doing it for less. The other way you have to look at that is on those 22 bales that would be a $10.00 per bale charge.

· Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm guessing you are talking large rounds? What size? I'm thinking you would have to be in the $4.00 to $5.00 per mile range to hire someone to do it. If you figure by the hour that's 1 hour to load and strap 1 hour drive and an 1 hour to unload. In a good situation loading and unloading should take less time then that. You may find some one local just trying to make a little side cash doing it for less. The other way you have to look at that is on those 22 bales that would be a $10.00 per bale charge.
4x5.5 Round, Yes

This is very helpful, Thank You!

· Registered
29 Posts
Hello,

For me, we deliver a lot of our hay sales but I'm more of a hot shot trucker. Meaning truck and gooseneck trailer. Not semi loads. I can haul 14 4x5's at a time. For my hay, I charge $5/bale for up to a 20 mile radius. Then $2/loaded mile beyond that. So for 14 bales, 50 miles, it would be $130 for the delivery. So that calculates out to $9.29/bale. But some people don't have the equipment so they are o.k. with it.

For your case Rhett, if a semi can haul 22 bales at once, I would figure $3-5 per loaded mile. But this is for Missouri so not sure about Texas. So using $4, a 50 mile delivery would be $200. Calculates to $9.09/bale. Truckers like longer distances. You might find it hard to find someone willing to haul 10 or 20 miles for $4 a mile. In that case, it would probably just be a fixed fee per bale. And then throw diesel prices in there. Last year we held our deliver prices flat even with gas/diesel higher. Our customers really appreciated that as we did have to raise our hay prices considerable due to fertilizer/fuel.

If it helps, I have my hay fee schedule on my website highfillfarms.com. Under product and services. It shows cost for different delivery scenarios.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts