Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend has a JD 5055M , maybe two years old. Trying to run a chipper but tractor cuts off as soon as he leaves the seat. Really hard to chip that way. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
What does your 5075 do? My 5100E beeps at me but everything stays running when I get out. If it is a frequent need, I would think you could make a bypass switch and have it permanently mounted to make it easy to use, easy to make things safe for others again.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I would try to put a little jumper wire in from one side of the terminal to the other, depending on what the plug looks like.

·
Registered
825 Posts
My 5320 screams at me if I leave the seat but the pto continues to run. I would think there would be some provision for running the pto for a stationary application. Set the parking brake? Engage pto after leaving the seat? Hold pto switch while leaving the seat?

·
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What does your 5075 do? My 5100E beeps at me but everything stays running when I get out. If it is a frequent need, I would think you could make a bypass switch and have it permanently mounted to make it easy to use, easy to make things safe for others again.
My 5075 just beeps but it is a 2013 so I figured they changed something in the design.

·
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sand bag no enough weight according to him, sometimes his wife has to bounce on the seat to get it to work. I haven’t looked at it so don’t know what the switch looks like. The jumper with a switch to return the safety system sounds like an idea to pursue

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,736 Posts
Sand bag no enough weight according to him, sometimes his wife has to bounce on the seat to get it to work. I haven’t looked at it so don’t know what the switch looks like. The jumper with a switch to return the safety system sounds like an idea to pursue
Could be the switch needs to be replaced. They do go bad on occasion. 50 lb feed sack should work too. The safety Nazis don’t live in the real world. I was trying to back something up with one of my MX Maxxums a while back. Couldn’t see something for some reason so got up off the seat so I could see better. Tractor stops moving. GRRRRRRRRR!!

Reactions: Hayman1

·
Hay Master
4,993 Posts
My 4710 did the same thing--it's a "can't be too safe" thing that causes more safety issues because you can use it appropriately.

Just flip the seat up and you should find a plug that goes to a Operator Presence sensor. This is a probably a Normally Open switch, meaning that it needs pressure to close. Check it out with an Ohm meter, then either leave it disconnected or put a jumper in the cable. I just shorted my out and that over-road the switch.

Engineers and lawyers should have to use the equipment they design--bet we'd get some really good designs then!

Hope this helps.

Ralph

1 - 10 of 10 Posts