Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Thought this one was good from a buddy on rocket forum...

"useless as a bowling ball in a swimming pool"...

Like somedevildog I could go on for days... have to think about it and pick some and get back to you... LOL:)

Later! OL J R :)

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
One I heard mostly from my Dad was:
"they would not work in a pie factory". Meaning nothing would suit him. Or no job was good enough for them.

One thing I like about our country is the local terms and yes accents. Living in the South still enjoy a true Southern accent which sadly is less and less here and the Boston and some others.
Yeah I remember as a kid when we went to my aunt's place in South Carolina... once you got into Louisiana it was like a different language... which was distinct from Mississippi, which was different than the accent of Alabama folks, which was different from Georgia, where the "southern drawl" was an art form, and similar in South Carolina (my aunt and her family lived in Iva, near Spartanburg, and just over the Georgia line from Lake Hartwell...)

I mean it was hard to even understand what folks were saying over there "in the South"... I mean, us *Texans*, we talk "normal"... we don't have an accent (LOL...) But it *used* to be a LOT different back then... I guess a lot of it was the "older generation", and since that generation and the one after it is gone now, and with all the "carpetbaggers" and other "imports" that have moved into that part of the world, it has REALLY diluted the old accents and local dialects to the point that it's a mere shadow of even what it was in the mid-70's when I was a kid...

Course, I got an education when I had a girlfriend in New Jersey and went up there for the first time... I had driven all night and arrived about 5 am in town, so I parked at the far end of the local grocery store parking lot and grabbed a couple hour nap. Then when the store opened about 7 I went in to get a dozen roses to surprise my girlfriend. Course I was tired, but I went into the store and looked around for the plants and stuff... and couldn't find it... So after wandering around the store a few minutes, I saw a woman doing some stocking on the shelves, and I walked up to her and said, "S'cuse me, maam, but can you tell me where yall keep the flowers?" I guess it sounded funny to her, because she said, in a perfect "Edith Bunker" Queens brogue, "What, FLY-UHZ?? Like for a PAH-TEE??" (flyers for a party)... In fairness due to my tiredness I probably said something that sounded more like "FLARS" than "Flowers"... I said, "No maam, flars, like daisies, and pansies, and roses, and violets and stuff like 'at..." She doesn't miss a beat, and in her Edith Bunker voice says, "Oh, you mean FL-Oww-UHzzz... Oh, they're over on aisle five hun..." I replied, "Thank ya" and went on my way...

They seemed to think my accent was quite amusing. I don't think I even have one. Course all their accents were plenty funny to me as well...

Later! OL J R :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.