Hay & Forage Forum banner

Safety Chains on Trailer?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  glasswrongsize 
#1 ·
Got call from my buyer of sheep and hogs this morning telling me he had been in a wreck; he got rear-ended while slowing/stopping to turn. He was eastbound into the morning sun; the person that hit him was blinded by the sun as well as distracted (reaching for sunglasses). I took my truck and trailer to haul the sows from his trailer with my trailer. I reckon safety chains might have helped as it broke the hitch from the tube. For as unlucky as an accident is, I reckon everyone and cargo was pretty lucky. It ain't gonna buff out, but it ain't the end of the world.

Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle

Purple Gas Wood Magenta Electric blue

Attachments

See less See more
#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hard to tell, but it looks like that weld has been cracked for awhile anyways, doesn't look like a very good one anyways
I agree. Weld looked like a gorilla flung snot at it with a plastic spoon. The pipe was only into the coupler about 1-1/2" as well. It was a store-bought coupler/pipe (Bull Dog, I think I recognized it to be. There was no sticker on it anymore, but the shape of the sticker was same as Bull Dog uses/used.) When building my own, I always had more overlap than that by a long shot; just not enough overlap for a single weld.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.