Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone plant roundup ready alfalfa? After two dry years and a lost new planting due to lack of water I am weighing pivot irrigation and thinking about roundup ready alfalfa---sell pure, high protien hay to dairy. I am using $190.00/ton as a bench mark for planning....does this sound in the ballpark? I'm tired of small squares to horse people (no offense) and tired of weed battles and no water. According to the hay extension agent I would only need to apply glyphosate twice in the first season which makes sense.

Any input? Tahnks

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm seeing local prices from $150-350 per ton. Good quality alfalfa with high RFV and no weeds could easily bring 250. Only recommendation is to call or visit dairies to try and find out what they're looking for and what they're willing to pay. You could have the best alfalfa in the world, but if you can't market it...

·
Full of questionable knowledge.
5,220 Posts
Also make sure those dairies can actually or will pay. At least pay soon after delivery of the hay. That's the trouble around here with selling to dairies. I prefer horse people or small herd of cows owners over dairies. They aren't so concerned about RFV and don't have to pay on points.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input.... I have spoken with sever reputable daries and all have shown interest. $190.00 seems to be on the low end. I have had trouble with horse checks bouncing, complaints, etc. One loves my grass hay, the other says its no good?? Thinking dairy's will be better payers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.