Hay & Forage Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
So pardon the stupid question but does a 5-ft wide baler have a mega wide or is it just considered a mega wide if the pickup is wider than the bale? I guess what I'm trying to ask is what makes a megawide pickup on a 4-ft Baler different than a 5-ft baler versus the mega pickup on some John Deere balers? Just trying to learn the differences. Thank you for your information. Sorry Hawkins for hijacking your thread I figured we both have the same Baler brand new to each other so maybe some of this information be good for you as well.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
OK my knowledge of JD 5ft wide rd balers is limited because very few were ever sold in my area. To make matters worse 466 & 566 are included in same parts catalog so researching parts catalog for additional information can get confusing for some "Old Codger" similar to myself! .

JD use of the word Mega can be confusing as there's a Mega, a Mega-wide & Mega tooth.

Mega pickup has cam & cam followers on both ends of pickup VS one cam & followers on LH end of regular pickup.

I think wide pickup was only offered on 4 ft wide balers but I could be incorrect.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,971 Posts
5 ft wide Deere balers had the Mega Wide pick up option as well. Probably about a 7’ wide pickup.

·
Registered
JD 2840, Ford 8000, Ford 8n, Ford 3600 (in progress); NH H6750, NH 850
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I just picked up a 566 this last Tuesday. Gonna be one heck of a learning curve going from my old baler. Looks like a belt is different compared to mine. On a side note where are those parts for the pickup teeth that people seem to hate? I kind of poked around the other day but didn't know exactly what I was looking for.
Your belt statement is correct. I have one that is wrong, yours looks correct.

I'm also not exactly sure what you're referring to with the pickup. I know there are heavy duty square teeth that you can put on, but I have read that they don't work well on these balers. Maybe that is what you're referring to?

Also, your pickup is not a Mega-wide. Standard pickup but you do have gathering wheels.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,971 Posts
The Mega Square tines are strong enough to twist the older lighter tine bars.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts