Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on a good 3 point, 8' rotary cutter? I have a Bush Hog I've had for 6 years but have never been happy with it; leaves strips somewhat uncut and in places we've had to double back to recut. I'm mowing ranch roads, senderos, small fields, and tank dams so there's an assortment of grasses, weeds, small brush, and very small mesquites. Looking for something on the heavy duty side. The tractor is a JD 5100M.

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I mow my yard with the jd mx8 .....had it for over 10yrs ....cut field edges and overgrowth with it to....no heavy brush cutting...zero issues...very good cut quality...been very pleased with what I use it for

·
Super Moderator
15,829 Posts
Any suggestions on a good 3 point, 8' rotary cutter? I have a Bush Hog I've had for 6 years but have never been happy with it; leaves strips somewhat uncut and in places we've had to double back to recut. I'm mowing ranch roads, senderos, small fields, and tank dams so there's an assortment of grasses, weeds, small brush, and very small mesquites. Looking for something on the heavy duty side. The tractor is a JD 5100M.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Are your blades sharp and not rounded over? Dull blades will chop thin grass, but in heavy grass they will streak.

Deere makes an excellent cutter. Last March I bought a FC15M with the HD gear boxes and foam filled tires and I could not be happier.

Regards, Mike

·
2,953 Posts
Several things can lead to poor cutting. Rounded, dull, blades. Cutter front to back angle not set properly. Ideally a 3/4" height differential from front to back will give a better cut than when the front is extremely low. Front of cutter should be lower than rear or you end up double cutting the crop which takes more power and results in a poorer cut.

Many of the Bush Hog mowers come with a standard flat blade. Installing the optional high lift blades will help the cut especially cutting the wheel tracks out.

If you are running the compact squealer model then you do not have as much room under the deck as a standard model which may affect cut quality. It takes a pretty good size tractor to handle a regular 8ft three point hitch cutter. The compact cutter is for smaller tractors and customers who want a wider cutter. There are tradeoffs though.

There is no reason the cutter should be cutting that poorly if setup properly.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all. We've sharpened blades and replaced blades; was not aware there were optional high lift blades. I'll check into that.

Have not entertained the thought of a flail mower, in fact, until I was looking on Tractor House I wasn't ever aware there was such.

I have a Rhino 10' pull behind that I use with my 6105M. I would like to look at a 10' or 15' for the 5100M but I am limited on room in the barn so I'm relegated to an 8' or 10' three point. Not sure if the smaller tractor would handle a 10' lift. We've had the Rhino for 10 years and it cuts great and we've had no problems; only changed blades.

I think I'll try the high lift blades and see if that helps.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turns out I do have the high lift blades on the cutter; blades were replaced last year so not sure why but it's never cut as I thought it should ever since I've had it.

Vol, that's a solid looking cutter you bought. Glad it's working well for you.

·
Registered
4000, 4600, 7600, 7700, and 8700 Fords, Kubota M6800, Vermeer and John Deere hay equipment
41 Posts
I also have rhino cutters, a 10’ and a 15’ batwing. Extremely satisfied with both mowers. I was going to suggest a smaller 3pt cutter until you mentioned your equipment. My local dealer has been carrying 12’ batwing rhino cutters. They wouldn’t take up anymore space than an 8’ 3pt model. He sells quite a few of them. They can “clip pastures” with 55-60 pto hp tractors, but when you get into heavier crop, most folks are using 80-85 PTO hp. It may be worth looking at one.

·
2,953 Posts
The 3308 is a good cutter. The only thing I can think of that would cause poor cutting is if the front to back tilt is to far forward. The more forward tilt the poorer the cut. Been there done that. A pull type cutter is easier to control the tilt since once set the tilt won‘t change when raising and lowering the cutter as long as the drawbar height stays the same.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Makes a lot sense Mike and thanks. When we have a work weekend sons and friends drive it; I try to set it up before they go out but you know how that goes. Seems like we've tried everything in the book but have not found the right combination.
You're right about the pull type, once its set you're done. That one has been a great cutter for me. I've scheduled a trip tomorrow morning to Fredericksburg to look at a few different brands and sizes.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to all who replied. I've settled on a Rhino 4125. It's a heavy duty cutter and should work out fine for the work we will put it through. It will be delivered in a couple of weeks. Hope you all have a great weekend!

Charlie

·
Registered
4000, 4600, 7600, 7700, and 8700 Fords, Kubota M6800, Vermeer and John Deere hay equipment
41 Posts
Glad to hear you got what you wanted. I hope it turns out to be as good of a mower as mine have. Let us know how you like it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts